New tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just got a new 150 gallon tank shown below...
2070368_160_full.jpg

Will a single Rena Filstar xP3 and an Emperor 400 Biowheel do the trick for filtration?

Will a pair of 300 W heaters do the trick?

Are there any aquatic plants I can get that my Oscars won't eat?

Is it safe to put preasurewashed limestone in the tank? I want to build a pyramid out of it and put white rocks, with a light blue background.

I would use three heaters instead of 2. Maybe three 250 Watts or 200 Watts. My reasoning behind that is because if one guys out then you won't have just one heater trying to heat a 150 gal tank.

No, do not use limestone. It will increase the pH level in the tank.

Not sure about the plants since I'm still a newbie with planted tanks.

I've never kept an oscar...but I think the answer is no based on the people I know who have em and what I've read here.The like to recreationaly rearrange the tank it seems.

Green plants and oscars do not mix. They will rip them up. They will also rearrange yur rock work and generally have a good time. Mine would pout if I moved furniture in the room I had the tank in. They are great fish about as close as you can get to an aquatic dog.

Awesome, well I have a pair of Tigers. I hope they like the new tank I got them.

So I went to Petsmart prepared. I looked online and printed out the price sheets for the xP3 and the Emperor 400...They price matched and I saved about oh...say 100 bucks.

I'm in the process of setting up the filters. I've got to get some water in this tank.....lol

could you get a less angled view of the tank, looks like a 55gal at that angle

at with a 150...i'd reccomend a canister filter, i thing HOBs lose their touch when tanks get too big

Speakerman, I will tell you that I had Oscar's, Dempsys, and other cichlids until my smaller current set up. I could never get live plants to survive. I made some nice rock caves and added some driftwood and I loved it. Enjoy your Oscars, they will like a 150 gal. tank.

I also see what hc8719 is saying. It doesn't look like a 150, however it looks bigger than 55. If you bought it new, I am sure it is 150 it's just the angle of the pic. Sometimes pics. can be very deceiving.

I have questioned my tank sizes before when I got them home. This is a cool calculator to put your mind, or other's at ease.
http://garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

This tank is 150, I didn't buy it new, but I went up to Petsmart in Austin Tx where they had one on display. It is exactly the same tank, sells for 599 + tax. It's a Perfecto 150 gal oak.

But it doesn't matter now. I put about 80 gallons in there and it started to seep water out one of the corners... I'm going to make another thread somewhere and see what can be done....****.

Man, I read your other thread about the leak. To bad it's not just the seal. Good Luck, I hope everything works out. It will be awesome when done.

It's a 150T, I have the same one. It's more of a box shape than long. I love it because of the height and ability to stack rocks in a mountain type shape. The Africans seem to love it too.

Back
Top Bottom