New tank setup need help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark_Attack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I just built my 55 gallon tank and I need advice one how to cycle so my fish can go in!! I have a current tank with three fish in it I need to know how to get them in it? :/

So just to be clear you have a cycled tank with 3 fish and you want to move them all over?
This is what I would do.
Transfer fish to a bucket.
Move all filter media from old filter to new filter or just move the old filter over and run next to the new one.
Syphon all water over to new tank.
Top off with temp matched dechlorinated water.
Acclimatize the fish to the new tank.
Watch water parameters for a few weeks and do water changes as needed.

Yea sorry I wasn't clearer I have a 20 gallon that has been up and running for 3 years now it has
1- 4in. Eclipse catfish
1- 2in. Red tail shark
1- 3in. Black weather loach
They have been ready for a bigger tank but took me a while to build the new 55 gallon tank!
The 55 gallon has been full and running new filter for a week now, I took a water sample and everything looks right so far they said! I was going to place the filter media from the old tank in the new one but they are two different types so the old one will just be sitting on top of it! My real question is if I do this and add some of the old water to the new tank how long Intel I can move the fish over? Also the new tank hasn't got a heater in it so it's currently been 67 what do y'all think a 55 gallon should stay with these tank mates and also what's a good heater brand? Thanks for the info so far that's kind of what I was thinking of doing so cool!

Basically you need to move ALL the filter media over when you move the fish. If it doesn't fit in the new filter I'd move the old one over and run it next to the new one for at least 4 weeks. Most of the bacteria lives in the filter and barely any at all in the water. So letting old tank water sit in the tank isn't going to cycle it.

I can't suggest a heater brand because I'm not I'm the US sorry but I use hydor on my 70g and it's never skipped a beat. You'll want the tank at 76-78F

Back
Top Bottom