New Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am going to be setting up a new tank soon probably for goldfish, but I'm not entirely sure yet. I have an area for a tank that is about 50" x 20", but I don't want to spend much more than $500. I think a tank between 40 and 55 gallons would be best. I was wondering what size tank would be best for me, and what my stocking options would be. Thank you! :)

For tanks, in some areas you will be able to find used tanks for less money. I suggest looking at craigslist or garage sales or some such thing to find a used tank. That will help you stay under budget.
The rest is up to you. There is not best tank size, no best tank stock. This is all up to you and what you like and want to do.
Fish Aquarium and Tank  Sizes and Characteristics, starting an aquarium, buying equipment, choosing tanks
Here is a list of tank dimensions. Many people prefer a 40b over a 55, but it is all up to you. Check out what you can afford, what is available to you, and what you like the look of. Then we can consider stocking options. :)

I just saw a 40B kit today at PetSmart for about $175. Even if you upgrade filtration and add furnishings you should be well under $500.

Thanks for the responses! I was thinking about getting a 55 gallon with 3 goldfish. Could I have 3 goldfish in a 40 breeder? If so, would a 50 gallon be much of an upgrade from a 40 gallon as it is just taller, not wider or longer? Thanks! (y)

When dealing with messy fish, the more water volume, the better. It may not be able to get you more stock, but it certainly helps with keeping all the parameters in check. I generally vote that you get as big of a tank as you can. More options that way.

When dealing with messy fish, the more water volume, the better. It may not be able to get you more stock, but it certainly helps with keeping all the parameters in check. I generally vote that you get as big of a tank as you can. More options that way.

Ok thank you! Let's say I got lots of smaller fish. Would more water volume still be better?

More water will always be better as it will foul at a slower rate.

Goldfish should kept in 30gallons minimum and 10gallons for each goldie after the first.

If you have 500bucks i would seriously look into craigslist or other places for used tanks like another poster mentioned. I would get the biggest tank you can. Usually once you have one you'll want another and another!.The tanks i have, i wish were bigger.

You can def get a nice size used tank 100+ for under $200 on Craigslist its all about patience. I would go for a large tank as well as goldfish get pretty big and grow pretty fast given good water quality and plenty of room. Your gonna want a really good filter as well so I wouldn't strongly suggest you gravitate towards canisters

In all fairness, CL deals depend highly on location. So, lets not get anybody's hopes up too high. ;)
And yes, more water volume is pretty much always better when dealing with fish tanks. In your space, if you could fit a 75g, I would personally do that if you could find a cheap one. If not, a 40b is a great layout of a tank with lots of floor space. Some people dislike the 55g because it is rather narrow and not the most efficient use of the water volume. But, that depends on your personal preference.
In the area I live in now, I had to struggle for months to find a large, affordable tank. I eventually got a 75g with stand and everything for 200 bucks. In the last place I lived in, the town was small and used tanks were few and far between. So, it does depend on where you are at and what is available used. That is still absolutely what I recommend doing first. Just know that most used tanks come with terrible neon gravel and a plethora of useless airpumps and bubblers ect. :)

In all fairness, CL deals depend highly on location. So, lets not get anybody's hopes up too high. ;)
And yes, more water volume is pretty much always better when dealing with fish tanks. In your space, if you could fit a 75g, I would personally do that if you could find a cheap one. If not, a 40b is a great layout of a tank with lots of floor space. Some people dislike the 55g because it is rather narrow and not the most efficient use of the water volume. But, that depends on your personal preference.
In the area I live in now, I had to struggle for months to find a large, affordable tank. I eventually got a 75g with stand and everything for 200 bucks. In the last place I lived in, the town was small and used tanks were few and far between. So, it does depend on where you are at and what is available used. That is still absolutely what I recommend doing first. Just know that most used tanks come with terrible neon gravel and a plethora of useless airpumps and bubblers ect. :)

I totally agree with you about 55g tanks! They should be slightly shorter but wider, definitely. Lol and the useless acessories!

Back
Top Bottom