new tank size question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I just bought a used 75 gal tank and now have it set up but I'm questioning the size. The lady I bought it from said she "thought" it was a 75 gal tank but she wasn't exactly sure. It was her brother's tank and he died about 2 years ago. I bought the tank and a custom built stand from her. I was in the LFS today looking around and I happened to take a peek at the tanks and I saw some tanks that were 72 gal and even some 125+ gal sizes. I swear that the tank I have looks bigger than 75 gal. I was wondering if anyone knows a way for me to tell. I'm sure there's a formula for finding this out. The dimensions of the tank are...

48" L, 20" H and 19" D

It may be a 75 gal but looking at the other's sure made me think it was bigger... anyone have a clue? Thanks!

There are a bunch of calculators online. As you may know the tank gallon size is typically measured from the outside, so the actual volume is usually lower (often significantly lower).

I plugged your numbers into a calculator at a site I hugely endorse, GARF.org. It's more of a saltwater site, but it's an Idaho group working for sustainable corals and saltwater aquaculture. Very great people.

It came out at 79g. So you should be pretty close to the 75g estimate, with a little bonus.

Cool... thanks for the info! I guess it just looks bigger than it actually is. I swear when I bought it I had the dimensions and looked at many pictures of it and then when I first actually saw it I thought... WOW, what have I just done... it's HUGE! Then, when I actually got it back home and set it up in my living room I thought... OH WOW, what have I just done (it looked even bigger than it did when I first saw it!) But, I'm excited about getting it all ready to go. This is only my 2nd tank and it's an upgrade from the current 29 gal system I have. I'm sure my fish will LOVE all the new space they're gonna have! I'm going to use an Easter Island theme. I saw that in the "themed tank" post and instantly knew that's what I wanted to do. I'll post pics when it's all done. I've researched the islands online and know roughly what I want to put in there. The Moai statues are on the way already!

That's really a great size though. Not huge, but very solid. The dimensions beteween 55 and 125 are hard to tell because one inch in the depth or height makes a huge difference in volume. It's still not a "huge" tank, but it's one where you can really plan and have some amazing fish.

If you have fish from the 29, and they're not going to outgrow the tank, I really recommend you think about what you want in the new tank. With that size you could create any theme take you want. Or you could take what you have, and create a breeding tank. Or you might be able to get those big fish you could never had before. There only limit is your imagination.

And I mean this honestly. My big goal this summer is to set up a sculpin tank. Small, forgettable, predatory fish. But I've always loved them. The highlight of my spring break was to catch a tidepool sculpin (my first saltwater variety).

Back
Top Bottom