New tank tomorrow need help rearranging please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I've mentioned previously I'll be getting another tank for my sons betta tomorrow as he's been in a 15litre bowl only since the weekend with daily water changes. Anyway I'd just like to run a few ideas by you all. I was thinking instead of getting a 50litre for the betta I could move my 70litre planted tank in his room and use that instead of buying a smaller one and get myself a bigger one probs 100litres I'm not sure depending on space. The only thing is the shrimp would stay in the 70litre with the betta and one of my bn plecs if they wont get eaten?
So question one since it is a larger tank he would be in with the shrimp could this work?

Question 2
The 2 platies, hengels rasboras, neons and the other bn plec will all go into my larger tank. My partner and I really want a pair of German blue rams so we were thinking if I upgraded could I add them? I'm limited in space so what would be an appropriate size for my planned stocking for the new tank ?-2platy female
- 1 bn plec
- 6 hengels rasbora
- 6 neon tetras
And of course the German blue ram pair

Shrimp should be okay in a tank that size, just provide some cover plants, caves etc.

Stocking for the 100 is also spot on, you might want to hold off for a while until its cycled as Rams notoriously don't do well in new tanks. You might have a few issues when the start to breed, but again plenty of cover will help. I'd maybe rethink the Platy, and add more Tetra - Rams are pretty quick guys and if the Platy hit there territory during breeding they could get injured, but it's only a small possibility.

Get a really good filter for the 100, it will help keep the Rams in good health - I usually go for one double what's required for a Ram tank, filter that would do a 150 - 200 would be good.

I strongly recommend the Eheim Aquaball range, the 180 would be super in your tank if it fitted or the 130.

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-aquaball-130-internal-filter-p-1109.html

Last edited:
Borderlesscott said:
Shrimp should be okay in a tank that size, just provide some cover plants, caves etc.

Stocking for the 100 is also spot on, you might want to hold off for a while until its cycled as
Rams notoriously don't do well in new tanks. You might have a few issues when the start to breed, but again plenty of cover will help. I'd maybe rethink the Platy, and add more Tetra - Rams are pretty quick guys and if the Platy hit there territory during breeding they could get injured, but it's only a small possibility.

That's great thanks :) I already have the platys they were the first fish I got for the tank so I'm kinda attached and wouldn't want them to get hurt they were there first after all.
And another thing I noticed is the rams like the temps higher than my other fish I read like 26-29c .I usually keep the tank at 24degrees c will that be ok for them?

You would need to go up to 26 IMO, 24 is a tad low, with temperature changes in tanks that could go down to 23/22 at times. 26 is perfect for the Platy also, in the US Rams are kept at even higher temps due to breeding but here in the UK most are kept around 26-28.

Borderlesscott said:
You would need to go up to 26 IMO, 24 is a tad low, with temperature changes in tanks that could go down to 23/22 at times. 26 is perfect for the Platy also, in the US Rams are kept at even higher temps due to breeding but here in the UK most are kept around 26-28.

Hmmm i don't know how the hengels and tetras would cope with that ?

Both are totally fine with 26, I've Rasboras in an Apistogramma tank at 26.5 and Neon, Lemon, Rummy Nose Tetra in my main tank at 27, Wild Green Neons in my aquascaped tank at 26.
No problems at all with that temp - Neons can go up to 28 easily, Rasboras 26 to 27.

Borderlesscott said:
Both are totally fine with 26, I've Rasboras in an Apistogramma tank at 26.5 and Neon, Lemon, Rummy Nose Tetra in my main tank at 27, Wild Green Neons in my aquascaped tank at 26.
No problems at all with that temp - Neons can go up to 28 easily, Rasboras 26 to 27.

Oh ok well that solves that problem then thanks :)

im so excited to be getting the new tank today eeeep :) my only worry is the betta n my shrimpies id be so upset if he eats the shrimp i know the shrimplets are an east target but some should make it right?

Back
Top Bottom