New tank vs old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwexler1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there! Im having some fish problems. I am relativly new to the fish world and didn't realize what i was getting myself into, but now im all in. I have five fish: two albino young pleco's and three fancy tail guppies in a 5.2 gallon tank. Yes, very small tank, which has left me with ammonia problems with constant 50% water changes and still having the problem. This has resulted in getting a bigger tank (ten gallon) , which i have bought everything i need including a new filter, tap conditioner, stress coat, heater, fine gravel (had marble before what a mistake), salt. Last night i was cleaning my 5.2 with a siphon and food particles and all else was flying throughout my entire tank because it was obviously over due being that my filter for this small tank can not keep up with the bio load these fish give out. I did a 50% water change immediately and hung the new filter on the old tank to quickly save my fish from getting sick from the bad water i created. Now my problem is setting up the new tank without killing my fish.

How can i do this? Ive heard in many situations this is a call for disaster and id like to keep my fish friends alive. I was thinking i would get fresh tap about 5 gallons prepare it and pour into my new tank. put fish in separate container with same water from existing tank. Pour the rest of the water from existing tank into new tank. Set up filter and heater. How long to wait to put fish in new home??
I’m thinking to fix the ammonia problem i need to continue diluting the ammonia water with water changed and i did do my first dose of amquil plus this week with a water change.

Ok, so first, go read about a fish in cycle. Two, just fill the new tank with fresh treated tap water around the same temp as the tank they're in, switch both filters in it, add your fish. Do NOT add salt. You honestly should take back the plecos, that tank is no where near big enough and you're just going to keep having problems. It also sounds like you may be over feeding, they only need a little bit to eat per day.

You're going to need to get a liquid test kit and start testing your water. Good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you but the hobby is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anything you can move to the new tank will help with the bacteria you want. Marbles or filter media (including the gently rinsed floss) can help. You can always remove the marbles later, especially if you put them in a stocking, pantyhose or media bag.

Back
Top Bottom