New Tank Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just set up my new 30g planted tank. Currently stocked with 6 Cardinal tetras but plan on adding a lot more variety. I was curious as to how much and how often I should be doing water changes because I have heard a number of different things on this topic.

Just set up my new 30g planted tank. Currently stocked with 6 Cardinal tetras but plan on adding a lot more variety. I was curious as to how much and how often I should be doing water changes because I have heard a number of different things on this topic.

A lot of people do 50% weekly water changes and this is a great place to do them. A lot of people are able to do this large of a water change and completely forego testing nitrates. Not advisable, but it's not uncommon.

But the more difficult answer is to change water based on your nitrate level. Shoot for keeping it no higher than 20ppm after a water change. i.e. if you're at 40ppm do a 50% water change. If you're at 30ppm do a 25% water change. If you prefer to keep a lower nitrate level, then just do the math.

Back
Top Bottom