New tank - what fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foxbgz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to the forum and am looking for help as to how many and what type of fish will be best for a 10 gallon tank. Looking for color, action, and beauty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:welcome:

10 gallons is actually pretty small so you're fairly limited. Color, action and beauty, huh?

Well, for beauty there is the betta, comes in a variety of colors and finnage, very personable. But you're super limited as to what you can keep with them.

Color and action, I can recommend white cloud mountain minnows. They are really beautiful fish and mine are really active.

Pygmy corys would do okay as a bottom dweller. Cute little buggers who bounce all around the tank. You could keep them with the minnows.

You could also research various freshwater shrimp and do a shrimp tank.

When I first started out in this hobby, I took my pad and pen and went to the lfs. I walked around the tanks and wrote down the species that I was attracted to. I went home with my list and did my research and chose compatible species that would suit my tank size. Worked really well for me.

Foxbgz said:
Hi I'm new to the forum and am looking for help as to how many and what type of fish will be best for a 10 gallon tank. Looking for color, action, and beauty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! :welcome: I agree with LyndaB. It all really depends on what kinds of fish that you want. I could list and list and list fish but it all really depends on what you want.

Betta and ember tetras or neons or celestial pearl danios. Add a nerite snail.
A dwarf gourami could go in stead of the betta.
Pygmy corys.
Guppies and platys are very colorful.
Shell dweller cichlids.
One of several species of tiny killifish.
Like lynda said, research some species and see what you like. We are always available for questions!

Thank you to all. This is great advice and I will do more homework ;)

Neon tetras would look cool. You could probably fit a fairly big school (8-10).

Back
Top Bottom