Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Tank with Stringy White stuff Growing...?

Ok I just set up a 50g tank; new gravel, decor, filter etc. Put the water in yesterday and conditioned it. Today I notice all of this stringy white stuff growing on the fake plants and ornaments. Any thoughts on what it might be? I took pics with my iPhone as my camera is broken. pH 7.6 ammonia 2.0

The rock in this picture is fake and colored to look algae weathered. The stuff I am talking about is growing on the surface of it. If you look closely there are little stringy clear clobs coming off of it. Just thought I might clarify that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	33455  

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My first thought was hydra, not too common, but not unknown either. Unfortunately I can't make out anything too well in that photo. Are they long strings or short ones?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #3

As of right now the strands are short but rapidly moving to other objects. I have another pic, but the quality is still not great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	33462  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Still hard to see, but it looks like it is too long to be hydra. It may be hair algae, but I can't tell for sure. There are other things that are possible too. How much light does this tank receive?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #5

Does hair algae have a white coloring? This stuff is slimy, stringy and white/grey. As far as natural light my blinds are typically always closed and the tank is across the room from them. I keep the light on in the tank for 8-10 hours/day. The light is a 30 watt flourescent if that matters.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually you just gave a fairly good description of what hair algae looks like. Did this happen suddenly, like overnight?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #7

Yes! Insanely fast (water was just added yesterday), and I also added two new fake plants just today and I can see that it has already begun to spread onto them. Mind you it is not entirely covering the surfaces (yet).
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This could also be a bacterial bloom since you just set-up the tank. Just a few more questions to be sure though. Is it hard to pull off and tough or does it break away and fall apart easily?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #9

Bacterial bloom...sounds good.? It breaks away easily and floats away. Please ask away!

Also noticed it is only on ornaments and fake plants, not gravel or filter tube (yet anyways) if that helps.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Was the water cloudy just before this happened? Because it looks pretty clear now.

Tags
stringy, tan, white stuff

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com