Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to a fish tank and got a 20 gallon freshwater. Need advise please.

Hi everyone,
Iím new to having a fish tank. I got a 20 gallon Aqueon LED tank with 1 blue gourami, 2 cobra guppies, 1 Cory Catfish, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and 1 bristlenose pleco. I have a power flow filter on the back of the tank and a air stone, with some rock decor and 2 live plants. I did my first water test after two weeks and the results are as follows:
High range pH 80ppm
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nirates 0ppm

What should good numbers look like and how do I get them there or keep them there? Should I perform a 15% water change or 25% every other week? Plus my regular bristlenose pleco hasnít come out from the little cave on the right side of the tank for 3 days and I canít se him, should I be worried? Sorry for so many question. Just trying to learn, keep the tank clean, and keep the fish alive.

Thank you,

EricClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	310696

Old 10-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are essentially doing a fish in cycle as your tank isn't cycled. You want to keep your ammonia at .25 ppm. Your nitrites at 0 and never above .25 ppm. Your nitrates not above 40 ppm.

First thing you should do is two 50% water changes back to back asap. Get that ammonia down to .25 ppm. Remember, for example, if you have .50 ppm and you do a 50% water change you will then have .25 ppm.

Test your water daily to establish a water change schedule. Be prepared to change your water frequently and more of it.

Feed lightly during the cycle process.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

How big are you bn plecos right now? At full size I would recommend only having one but if they are small then it should be fine right now. But as mentioned above you're basically doing a fish in cycle so removing one of the bn plecos would be beneficial because they have a high bioload. To help with ammonia I would add more live plants, they look great and help filter the water to some extent. Also once the tank is cycled I would add some more Cory cats of the same species, they are a schooling fish.

Tags
20 gallon, advise, ate, fish, fish tank, fresh, freshwater, gallon, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com