New to Balloon Mollies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning to add 3+ Balloon Mollies to my tank and so I thought I'd ask for some advice.

I was on a trip when I popped into a fish shop and fell in love with them - they look really great - but I'm unsure of what their ideal conditions are, compatibilities with other fish are. I've kept Platies before and I've always thought that Mollies were of similar ilk (although that could be a large assumption).

Any advice? My tank pH is about 7, water generally more hard than soft, probably moderately hard.

Thanks.

I have mollys and they are very compatibe. they adjust well and are hardy. IMO they are easy fish to keep.

The balloon molly is soooo cute ihave 2 and they are easy to keep. The ratio is 2 female to 1 male and they are very hardy though since they are a hybreed they only live for around a year or 2

When I started my 25 gal tank in September 2009, I got 3 balloon mollies from my LFS. The owner said they were kinda finicky and wouldn't last as long as other fish. A little over a year later, one remains; and she's real spunky as she survived a bout of ick.

She swims with two angels, dalmatian mollies, tetras (not sure what kind), cory cats and a pleco; everyone gets along fine!

Mollies are similar to platies. They're both hardy livebearers and generally great community fish. I've never been a big fan of mollies in general because it's hard to find healthy stock around me. I was given an absolutely perfect black balloon molly a few months ago and he's really growing on me. He's completely black with clear blue eyes. I have him in my 29g with cherry barbs, five-banded barbs, otos, and bettas. The water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, < 20 nitrates, 7.5ish pH.

I have two and they're great fish! They spend most of their time picking (presumably algae) from every surface in the tank!

Although they aren't really shoaling fish as such, my two always hang around together.

Planning to get a few more but probably the long bodied variety.

As for hardiness, I had an ammonia spike a few months back, my sailfin molly died but no other fishes did. In the last few weeks I've had a bout of Ich, both mollies caught it but both fought it off.

I love my mollies. I was looking at balloon mollies last time I was at the LFS. They were a beautiful yellow and I think that they'll be my next set of fish for my 20 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom