New to board, looking for advice on 5 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocturn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, New to the board but I am looking for some advice. I currently have a hexagonal 5 gallon tank with a single betta fish. I imagine hes pretty lonely so I was wondering what other kinds of fish would work well with him, obviouslly other bettas are out of the question. I was also wondering if I should put in a snail/crab to clean the gravel, at least thats what we always did back in elementary school. I'm also wondering what plants would be best, since right now I don't have much in the tank besides the fish. Any comments are appreciated.

depending on the lighting, some plants would always be a nice addition as well as give your little friends a place to hide and provde them some comfort. I have never personally kept bettas but I know several people keep cory cats in with them. They are small cats with awesome personalities. Snails are always a nice addition but may eat your plants depending on species.

HTH,
R

I would gte some java fern. It grows a nice flat leaf that bettas enjoy resting on and hiding in. Plus is is super low maintenance. Snails will be good but don't forget that they have to eat as well. They will never survive on the small amount of food a betta leaves behind. Crabs are not a good idea as they will probably catch the betta and eat it, or at least rip its fins. Small amano or ghost shrimp could be cool and they are very cheap freshwater shrimp. If there are places to hide then some of the smaller peppered cory catfish might do okay. Get at least 3 as they need groups. But be careful as a tank your size will fluctuate easily. Adding more fish will cause a big spike in ammonia levels. So get a test kit and check levels often in the first few weeks. You will probably need to do water changes every couple of days at first to keep everyone healthy.

Went to the pet shop today and was surprised that they had some snails, last time they didnt. I purhcased 2 mystery snails, and a little cave for my betta to hide in, I figure this would be better then the filter hes always trying to hide behind. So far one of the snails is roaming about, but the other one is still hiding, I'm starting to wonder since one hasn't come out yet and its been a good 8 hours or so. The betta was just kind staring one of them down earlier like it was going to eat him or something, I was quite amused. Anyways do you think these snails will work out with the betta, I tested the PH and it was around 7.2-7.4 esk.

Going on 10 hours now and still nothing
Starting to wonder if I should take him back or not.

Also forgot to mention this but when I was at the store I saw some nice Black Mollys. Thought about getting a couple, anyone know about them or experiances with them and a betta? Also after looking at my enclepedia of fish, I think that my betta has fin rot, so does anyone know of a cure that wouldn't hurt my snail(s), or possible future mollys?

I would stay away from Mollys in the 5 gallon. Too small for them.

Hiya Nocturn and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

*nods and agrees with tkos*

Mollys will get way too big for a 5g; there isn't much that can live comfortably in such a small tank EXCEPT for a betta (and a small snail or an african dwarf frog). 5g tanks are notoriously difficult to keep good parameters, and most other fish need more room to swim. A single cory would fit, but they are schoolers and really need cory buddies, which you don't have the room for in such a small tank.

Also, your betta is not lonely; they do well by themselves.

I know betta's do well on their own, but Im looking for one or two more fish to put in to make a nice community. What would you suggest, I'm looking for fish that will stand out with my betta. I liked the black Mollys since they were all black, but if their not right for a tank that small then what should I look into?

Hi Nocturn,

I used to keep betta's with other fish, in large tanks (29 and 75 gallons). I no longer do so. Here's the why's..

First, bettas do not eat as much as other fish, and shouldn't. If you add other fish, you have to feed them. The betta will eat their food just as readily as they will, and won't know its bad for him. He will eventually get really bloated, and will die from it. I lost my last betta to this.

Second, despite their famed aggression against other male bettas, they aren't much for defending themselves. Other fish are quicker and tougher, and in such a small environment he might not fare well.

Next, on to your snails. Black Mysteries are great snails, I keep quite a few. They keep my tanks quite clean of algae. Don't worry if he's hiding in his shell. He can do this for days at a time, then be normal. Do make sure he can't climb out though. They will. They aren't trying to escape or anything, they just wander around. They can survive for quite a while out of the water so if it does happen and you catch it within 24 hours, just drop him back in. He'll probably have his shell tightly closed and just sit there for a while.. then back to normal.

The main suggestion I've seen for tanks of this size and bettas have been Dwarf Gouramis. Be careful though. The dwarves are known to be somewhat aggressive, and they're kinda 'betta' cousins. They share a lot of characterists. They come in some great colors though, and you should be able to work something out. You might want to partition the tank initially to see if they try to fight through it.

Oh, and just one of them :p

If you want a community tank then why not think about something other than fish. You already have snails, there are great fresh water shrimp as well (stay away from crabs and lobsters as they eat everything), and a dwarf frog might be cool as well. The tank may seem big and empty to you but most fish require lots of swimming room.

You could try adding 3 (no more) white cloud minnows. Just make sure to keep the water temp down around 70-72F as these are cold water fish. They do better in smaller tanks than most fish.

Oh and don't get any algae eaters as a 5 gallon will not provide enough food or space for them. (except maybe ottos but they don't do well in tanks where the water isn't perfect 24/7)

Well I got some snails to eat the algea, but I have some food for them once they eat it all because they are fun to watch. I was thinking perhaps of maybe a frog and one more small fish to complete the community. But I'm looking for a fish that doesn't look like the normal fish. Something about the chichilid's body shape just dosn't appeal to me. Anyone have any ideas of a fish that works well in a 5 gallon with just another beta?

A cichlid would outgrow the tank anyways and likely eat the betta :p Who mentioned cichlids anyways? :p

Tkos, You don't mean adding the white cloud minnows with the betta? I like white cloud minnows, but the temperature requirements are totally different from a betta's.

Bettas do fine in the lower 70'sF and White Clouds do fine in the lower 70'sF. It is a comprimise but as long as the temp in satble things will work out. MOst people that keep bettas do so in small containers with no heater so they do fine at room temp. While white clouds would do best in the high 60'sF it is unreasonable to think that most poeple can attain that.

My cousin has kept the 2 in an unheated aquarium for years. I used to keep my betta with my whute clouds at 72F and both did great.

Heh, I accidently left the heater on my 75 gallon unplugged one week. The tank only dropped to 76-77 degrees, and stayed there. I can't really keep cold water fish :p

The main problem with coldwater fish is that they produce lots of waste and also cold water holds oxygen better than warm. So if you are willing to do lots of water changes (every week at minimum for medium sized tanks) then warmer water will be fine. I mean how many goldfish are kept at 80F and survive. Now survive isn't as good as thrive of course but with good practices in tank upkeep things should be okay.

tkos,
Yes, it all depends on the fish! My bettas were on opposite ends of the spectrum -- one was ok in 75 degree bowl water, and the other is ok only in a tank with a heater. So, it's not unreasonable to put a betta in with a minnow, as long as you monitor them, as you would any tank, for signs of stress.

Nocturn...

Keeping in mind that Bettas prefer warm (80 degree) water and that you have a limited tank capacity, there are still a few types of fish that you can put in with your Betta. You might consider a trio of Rasbora heteromorpha (sometimes called the Harlequin Rasbora). They are peaceful but active fish that are fairly easy to keep and aren't likely to shred your Betta's fins like barbs will. They're also really pretty, especially swimming in a small school. They are adaptable in their temperature requirements and will be very happy at 80 degrees.

Though I haven't observed the Otocinclus ('ottos') catfish being overly sensitive to water conditions, there are a few other possible choices for 'scavengers' that you can consider. A small Corydoras cat or two will co-exist peacefully with your Betta and will do a reasonably good job of cleaning up the tank bottom. They're not particulary good at eating algae, however. If you can manage to find them, a couple of Dwarf Loaches (Botia sidthimunki) would also make great tank-mates for a combination of the Betta and some Rasboras and won't out-grow your tank for a long time, if ever.

I have to disagree with those choices Fruitbat; sorry.

Otos and corys are schooling fish and need buddies; there isn't enough room in a 5g for a small school. Same with the Rasboras. A 5g tank is just too small for any schooling type fish, and unfortunately the majority of the smaller fish are schoolers. Even white clouds are not a good choice. The dwarf loaches absolutely need a larger tank as they get 4-5 inches long (and they too need buddies).

Personally, I wouldn't put anything except a betta in a 5g tank, although you can go with snails and/or a dwarf african frog and/or some ghost or cherry shrimp as tankmates as well.

Always willing to have a friendly disagreement.

The rasboras, while being a schooling fish, will do quite nicely as a trio in the small confines of a 5 gallon. I've kept them in everything from 5 gallon tanks to 55 gallon tanks with great success...including having them spawn often in the 5 gallon. Otocinclus also work well in pairs or trios. So do Corydoras. Keep in mind that a school of 3 fish in a 5 gallon aquarium IS a big school!!

I've never seen a dwarf loach go much beyond 4-5 cm in standard length (about 2 inches or so). I will grant you that they need buddies....but in a tank that small only one buddy would suffice quite nicely.

Back
Top Bottom