New to fish. freeze dried tubifex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read my Omega One freeze dried brine shrimp canister. It says treat.

48% Protein
6% Fat
2.5% Fiber
5% Moisture

Ingredients: Brine Shrimp, Vitamin E supplement.

I also read my frozen brine shrimp package. Sally's SBF Brine Shrimp Cubes.

Ingredients: Brine Shrimp, Water.

4% protein
.4% fat
.5% fiber
92% moisture

I don't know what happened to the other 3.1%

Hi all I've got some mollys and various tetras. I currently feed them on flakes.
Been into pets at home ( uk) and they've got various frozen cubed foods in and I was just wondering if any were suitable for my fish?

Fish Food Ingredients

Hello W...

Frozen food is much better for your fish, no preservatives. By feeding just a little a couple of times a week, just what will be eaten in a minute or so, it doesn't get expensive.

Freeze dried is fine as long as there are no added chemicals. You'll know, because the chemical names are difficult to pronounce and there's typically a long list of them.

I feed 90 percent frozen and 10 percent pellets or wafers.

B

There were 3 or 4 different flavours can't remenber what they were called. What's the best?

Hello W...

Frozen food is much better for your fish
, no preservatives. By feeding just a little a couple of times a week, just what will be eaten in a minute or so, it doesn't get expensive.

Freeze dried is fine as long as there are no added chemicals. You'll know, because the chemical names are difficult to pronounce and there's typically a long list of them.

I feed 90 percent frozen and 10 percent pellets or wafers.

B

Still waiting for you to PROVE what you keep saying. You can keep saying it all day, but without proof, it means nothing. So far you have provided zero proof of your repeated claims, and in fact, have been proven outright wrong on some of them.

Hi all I've got some mollys and various tetras. I currently feed them on flakes.
Been into pets at home ( uk) and they've got various frozen cubed foods in and I was just wondering if any were suitable for my fish?

Anything listed for freshwater fish will be great. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, tubifex and also any mixtures that include plant matter like spirulina or other algaes the mollys will do well on. Mollys really enjoy plant matter like algae cubes and flakes.

Enjoy. (y)

Frozen Fish Foods

Hello again D...

I feed a variety of frozen brine and mysis shrimp. Frozen bloodworms are good and frozen plankton. These foods are expensive, but very nutritious. You don't have to feed much. I have larger tanks with a lot of fish in them, but I only feed four cubes per tank and only feed two times a week.

Fish have very small stomachs and are used to going several days between feedings in their natural living places. So, a couple of times a week, just a little, is plenty.

B

hpiguy said:
Anything listed for freshwater fish will be great. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, tubifex and also any mixtures that include plant matter like spirulina or other algaes the mollys will do well on. Mollys really enjoy plant matter like algae cubes and flakes.

Enjoy. (y)

Hi I'm rather new to the hobby but I read a lot of studies on fish in general bot just in aquariums...I remember a few weeks ago reading a study done by the university of Illinois on tubifex and linking it to whirling disease ? Have you or anyone heard of this ? I'm only curious

Fish Foods

Hi I'm rather new to the hobby but I read a lot of studies on fish in general bot just in aquariums...I remember a few weeks ago reading a study done by the university of Illinois on tubifex and linking it to whirling disease ? Have you or anyone heard of this ? I'm only curious

Hello Som...

I've never heard of this, but I feed almost entirely frozen foods. The freeze-dried and flakes all go through some kind of process to get them to the point where they're ready to go on the shelves. I rarely feed any of that to my fish.

It takes no time to check the container or package contents. If the list of ingredients is much more than two to three things, I don't use it.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

I have not seen that, but they may have been discussing live tubifex, which because they are not sterilized can bring disease with them in their bodies or the water used to contain them.

On a side note, please disregard anything BBradbury has to say about freeze dried foods. He has knowledge about many other subjects, but on freeze dried foods he has close to zero. He has proven himself woefully ignorant on how freeze drying actually works. No odd chemicals are added. The food is merely dehydrated, that is all. You can see the previous posts completely debunking any of his ridiculously false claims.

Fish Foods

I have not seen that, but they may have been discussing live tubifex, which because they are not sterilized can bring disease with them in their bodies or the water used to contain them.

On a side note, please disregard anything BBradbury has to say about freeze dried foods. He has knowledge about many other subjects, but on freeze dried foods he has close to zero. He has proven himself woefully ignorant on how freeze drying actually works. No odd chemicals are added. The food is merely dehydrated, that is all. You can see the previous posts completely debunking any of his ridiculously false claims.

Hello hp...

Nice word choice in your comment. Specifically "ignorant". Not one I would have used to describe another's opinion, but that's fine. Anyway, as I've mentioned before, other fish foods are fine, provided the list of ingredients doesn't get to the point where it's "continued on the next container". My point entirely is, take a second to check what's in the foods you feed.

An old "waterkeeper" once told me when it comes to fish food: "If you can't pronounce the content, your fish can't digest it".

B

Hello hp...

Nice word choice in your comment. Specifically "ignorant". Not one I would have used to describe another's opinion, but that's fine. Anyway, as I've mentioned before, other fish foods are fine, provided the list of ingredients doesn't get to the point where it's "continued on the next container". My point entirely is, take a second to check what's in the foods you feed.

An old "waterkeeper" once told me when it comes to fish food: "If you can't pronounce the content, your fish can't digest it".

B

Ignorant is the perfect term actually.

ig·no·rant

• Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
  • Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular:

Definition 2 fits your comments on freeze dried foods perfectly.

You've made numerous claims about how freeze dried are less healthy for fish than frozen foods. You've also made numerous claims about the freeze drying process and you clearly are ignorant of how it's done and what is used in the process.

You aren't citing your words as opinion, you are stating them as fact, yet have provided ZERO reality based facts to back up your claim.

On the other hand, I have provided numerous facts and links to refute your claims about the contents and process.

Ignorant is not a dirty word. It's not bad to be ignorant. Everyone has subjects they know little about. It becomes an issue when you make claims about that subject that you can't provide facts for it.

Like I said, you have an extensive knowledge about many topics, but on freeze drying, you are currently not informed enough to make any claims regarding it.

Your comment saying check what is in the food is very good advice. Please follow it when making comments about freeze dried foods and telling others to avoid them or saying frozen foods are healthier without providing any proof to back it up.

You can choose to continue to make unfounded claims, and when you do that, expect to have facts presented showing otherwise.

hpiguy said:

Yes it was speaking of live tubifex it was a large study of fish in their own habitat and at fish farms so I was curious when the word came up on here haha I haven't fed my fish anything other than flakes but then again all my fish are dead due to ich :( except my mystery neon tetra which I have no idea how he got in my tank considering I have not owned a neon tetra or purchased one before haha

Back
Top Bottom