new to freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeoCatsy

Aquarium Advice Activist
ive had a saltwater tank for about 3 years. I recently had some deaths in the fish family. I work alot and i was trying to get rid of the fish so they could have a better more attentive mother. However, that didn't work out. I love my tank i was thinking of converting to a fresh water. I have a pond outside and the fish seem to be doing well out there. i have all the saltwater stuff sand. heater, pump filter. I now i need to clean the tank with vinegar. Im not sure how to start off. any advice would be great thanks.

i would make sure you have all the decor and stuff rinsed thuroughly then put de clorinated water into it with new filter cartredges, and let it run for a week or so testing the salinity

i have a koi pond outside i m thinking of going with goldies

Cool. Make sure you go with fancy goldfish not pond fish like koi, comets or commons. The rule of stocking fancy goldfish is 20g for the first fish and 10g for each after that. So 3 fancies need a 40g tank. What size is your tank?
They also need 10x the tanks volume filtered per hour so a 40g tank needs a filter (or filters) rated 400g/h. They are very messy fish. :)

i have a 70 g bow front with a pump filter pretty high output

Good luck switching to a goldie tank! Thats wonderful & you have a nice big tank with plenty of room! There are a few quality breeders in the US if you are interested in purchasing some nice quality goldies. Let me know & ill give you their links! I recommend going with a sand substrate (pfs) for goldies- it makes cleaning a breeze & eliminates the possibility of choking on gravel. Just make sure your tank is propely cycled before purchasing anyone- goldies are sensitive to their water conditions. Please dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom