New to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I am totally new to plants and was wondering what you would recommend for my 10 gallon. I rather not go too heavily planted and I would rather not change my substrate I currently have normal gravel. I will be adding a Betta shrimp and neon tetras. My light is fairly bright but don't know how powerful. What plants should I add. Do I need to fertilize them I don't know much so please give as much info as possible. How much will all this cost

Thanks in advance

To determine what kind of plants, we'd need to know exactly what your lighting is. Is it fluorescent? It's probably stock t5 lighting. If this is indeed your lighting, young probably grow some java fern or anubias

calfishguy said:
How about substrate will my gravel suffice

Yep! Many people grow plants in just regular gravel fine. You can fertilize with flourish or root tabs if you want more growth also.

Yeah, I'd definatly try some flourish with some anubias or java fern, especially with not a lot of light.

Yep, you could try some moss. I'm pretty sure it's generally cheap. I don't know exactly, but not too much for a ball of it.

Sorry, that's what I meant when I said t5 above. You could do as many low light plants as you'd like. I can't name many off the top of my head, maybe someone else will chime in with a longer list of ants that you could do.

What were you talking about when you said amazons?

Crypts and water sprite are doing great in my pathetic lighting. I'd say when in doubt, try those. They're tough little plants. :)

calfishguy said:
What type of flourish do you recomend there r so many i dont know where to start.

Just regular flourish is sufficient. You could try all of them if you want, but is completely 100% optional on your tank. I think just regular flourish is good. You'll see some nice results, I'm using it and it works great :) jus add it after your weekly pwc

Just came back from the pet store and have
1 anubias nana
1 anubias caffeefalia
1 anubias barteri
1 anuabis minima
and one 500 ml bottle of flourish

in total about 50 bucks less than i thought

cant wait to put them in properly i'll post picks when finished.

Back
Top Bottom