New to this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An angelfish is not suitable for a 5 gallon tank. They get 6 inches not including fins and would not have room to move around.

I have two 5 gallon tanks and yes they each have a single betta. You said you don't want a betta, maybe they have seemed boring to you in the past because you see them laying listlessly in the bottom of their cups. But given a tank with a filter and a heater they are truly amazing fish. I could watch mine for hours... Swimming around displaying their fins, flaring at their reflections, building bubble nests, and finding areas in the tank to lounge. One of mine I actually feed right from my fingers, he comes right up when I open the lid.

Of course there are many appropriate choices for a 5 gallon. As many suggested there are many interesting nano fish available. I suggest you look onto some of the species suggested.

FYI.... When I was your age I had a single goldfish in a 5 gallon tank. He lived that way for 4 years. At that time we only had dial up internet that i was only allowed to use for schoolwork so I relied on the advice from a fish store.

Once I started researching and learning I adapted and started making better choices regarding my fish... You can too. Just take all the information provided and research as much as you can... Don't trust what anyone says without double checking the facts and the science behind it.

Then you can say "i keep fish this way and here is the scientific proof to back it up".

Good luck with your tank.

Thanks that information is acutally VERY helpful. I think I might try the nano fish. Not sure what I'm going with yet! I kinda want a Mollie, or a cherry barb!

Mollies and cherry barbs get too big for a 5g also, long term.

Some viable choices would be the rasboras that were previously mentioned, or maybe celestial pearl danios. They are awesome little schooling fish. There is a list of nano tank fish around here somewhere.

When someone says the tank isn't big enough for X fish, don't take it personally. It has completely to do with the fish itself. It doesn't matter if its my 5g, yours, or anyone elses. Either the fish is compatible or it isn't. I have several 5g tanks myself. It's no different than keeping any other animal, whether it is a gerbil, a dog, or a fish. We wouldn't want to keep a pet gerbil in a shoebox or a dog in a little closet their entire lives. We want to give them adequate sized housing, because we want for them to be healthy and give them the best life that we can. It's nothing personal about you, and there are tons of options for a 5g tank (besides a betta) that are beautiful and fun to look at. Not to mention that nano fish and nano tanks like the 5g are the newest trend nowadays.

Welcome to AA!
I understand how overwhelming the information can be getting started!
I think that it really helps to "paint a picture" of the ecosystem you are building - and for me, it was the key to my *eventual* great setups. :)
Here is a super-simplified overview that helped my friend - I was emailing her for days, ha ha!
She had just realized that she had gotten a very large fish (at baby size) and was thinking over what she wanted to do...

Like any environment, an aquarium has a cycle of life. The neat thing is that this is how that little world stays clean.

Waste from uneaten food, poop, dead plant matter, etc. creates ammonia - this is the most toxic thing you test your water for.

This is food for bacteria that can live on your filter media and tank surfaces. They change it to nitrites - a little less toxic to fish.

The nitrite feeds a second type of bacteria and that gives you nitrates. These are toxic too, but not enough to hurt thanks to partial water changes.

Ok so now you just need to create the drainage of dirty water and renewal that naturally occurs (through runoff and rainfall).

Removing water, (with a hose, for example), is your drainage. Adding new water is your rainfall. This gets your nitrates down. Plants do that too, if you have any.

You should take your filter stuff and wash it out in your drainage water once every couple months. Be gentle so the bacteria can hang on and only replace it when it falls apart.

Carbon media for filters is different! That removes chemicals that come from the bottled liquids you use or city water components. Many people do not use this stuff at all because they do not have anything like that in their water. If you are giving liquid medicine to your fish, you have to pull out the carbon until you are done or it will just yank it back out if your water! It needs replaced to be active every couple months.

So, when you plan who gets to live in your tank, you basically figure out the swim room needs of the fish and it's bioload - the output it creates for your cycle.
Some fish, like neon tetra, have tiny bioloads so if you have the swim space you can do more than 1 inch of these per gallon.
Some fish, like every pleco or catfish, have huge bioloads. These types do not process food the way we do so they create way more waste. Mollies are also high bioload.
The reason to test your water is to make sure the bacteria and water changes are keeping up!
Thus, your scheduled changes and filtration system affect what you can keep.

You're right that 5 gallon tanks are fun! The cycle and space requirements for your pets just need to suit that tank. :)

Oh, and I was not suggesting those fish in particular.
I just got my first nano fish recently - habrosus cories - and they are adorable!
I am looking into chili rasboras myself - very bright red color. ::cool::

Tabathalouisee said:
paytertot, I do not mean to be rude, I just do not like when people say that my tank isn't big enough. I have no choice but to use this tank right now! And as of the Betta, I want more than one fish in my tank, and I asked a man who is VERY experienced and he said I would be able to hold up to 5 fish in my tank, My tank is a big rectangular 5 gallon, it is quite big. Sorry if I sound rude, I am just trying to get advice, but not on Betta's. Pulling more towards Mollies, Angelfish, or Cherry Barbs!

You can't have angels,mollies or cherry barbs in there
What about 2 male guppies or two scarlet badis and a school of celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, or chili rasboras?

With small tanks a weekly partial water change will work better than every two weeks.

Google and see if you have an aquarium club near you. I'm lucky, living near San Francisco, there are multiple Clubs. I've learned so much from my Club. I'm a member of
the San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Club
We all have tanks with live plants.

My Cherry Shrimp in my 10g before I redid plants and added other fish

My 10g Shrimp Jungle feeding time. All live plants and Celestial Pearl Danios one of my fav fish.

Better vid of someone else's Shrimp

Sorry, 5 gallons are 5 gallons no matter what shape. A lot of fish store employees don't know squat about fish, they are there to sell fish not keep you from buying fish. The bigger the rank the better. Gold fish are the most dirty of fish. Being nice or rude, facts are facts. If someone responds rudely one will probably get a rude response, just sayin'........
Take advice from more than one person and compare.
Its all the about the fish and their health.

Have you looked into doing a planted shrimp tank. Shrimp may seem boring but they are surprisingly entertaining to watch and you could have 30 Rcs in a 5.

Ps: I'm 14 as well.

I agree shrimp would be awesome because you could have so many and they're fun to watch walking around eating everyhing.

I mean I can look into the shrimp idea, But as for the guppies, I don't really want any of those! Thanks for all the advice, But I am still going to look into some fish that I WANT, Thank you guys! If anymore suggestions come up just let me know!

What fish do you want?
I have a list of freshwater fish tank sizes in my signature,the second link
You can see what will and will not work for your tank
All of the fish you want need 20 gal+ tanks,or at least the ones you listed
Please don't kill fish in a too-small tank just because you want a cool tank
Check craigslist for a tank that is the proper size for the fish you want

I am wanting a mollie, and someone told me yesterday to look into them. And as of the "killing fish" issue, I do not want to do that, I just want to have a fish that is more active, and really I don't want shrimp! but even on craigslist I still wouldn't be able to get a new tank because I have no room for it. And your remark about parents locking me in a closet was uncalled for. I am not going to kill fish! My mother is already talked about trying to find a way to get a bigger tank. Just not sure yet, If I do get a bigger tank it will be a 30 gallon.

There are no mollies that are suitable for a 5 gallon tank.

3 male endler's livebearers would be a very colorful and active choice. With 3 males, you won't have any chance of overpopulation.

I am wanting a mollie, and someone told me yesterday to look into them. And as of the "killing fish" issue, I do not want to do that, I just want to have a fish that is more active, and really I don't want shrimp! but even on craigslist I still wouldn't be able to get a new tank because I have no room for it. And your remark about parents locking me in a closet was uncalled for. I am not going to kill fish! My mother is already talked about trying to find a way to get a bigger tank. Just not sure yet, If I do get a bigger tank it will be a 30 gallon.

No one is trying to insult you. That comment wasn't uncalled for, it is simply a metaphor that is commonly used by folks on this site (and many others) to illustrate the importance of keeping fish of the proper size in a tank of the proper size. We get that you are not trying to kill fish. However, it is simply not possible to keep goldfish properly in a 5 gallon tank. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is giving you exceedingly bad advice. Goldfish living for a year in a tiny tank is in no way indicative of long term success, given that goldfish can EASILY live for 10 years or more when kept in a proper environment. It's really just a testament to how tough they can be, that they have even survived for this length of time.

Ultimately, it is your tank, and your decision what you will do with it. You have gotten some good suggestions here for some options that will work in a 5 gallon tank. The people posting here are only trying to encourage responsible husbandry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom