New to this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabathalouisee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a 14 year old with a 5 gallon tank, I had two goldfish but one of them died this morning. I am looking into getting new fish, I would like to have Tiger Barbs, but have read a few posts saying that wouldn't be a good idea. I want active fish, and I would like to have ones that are colorful. Any suggestions?:)

Hello and welcome.
Unfortunately a 5g is too small for even one goldfish. They can reach a foot or more. Fancy goldfish (double tail) require 20g for the first fish and 10g for each fish after that. So for two you need a 30g tank. Pond goldfish (commons, comets and shubukins) require 50g per fish and do better in ponds.
Goldfish and tropical fish shouldn't be kept together. They have different requirements. Tiger barbs get larger than you might think and need a 20g long tank just for a small school of 5-6.
A 5g doesn't have many options for stock. Your looking at a single betta, some shrimp and snails or some nano fish.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Here is the beginners guide. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Not helpful

My 2 goldfish have lived in that tank for almost a year now, and have been extremly happy. So you can't say that my tank isn't big enough. It is actually quite big for a 5 gallon, So Your advice isn't very trust worthy, because none of it is true, So thanks but no thanks.

Take it as you wish but I think you'll find you'll get the same answers from other forum members.
If you could do just one thing and that's google 'old tank syndrome' and 'the effects of stunting goldfish'. I have rescue goldfish from small tanks and have seen the effects of both firsthand.

Well thanks for your opinion, but not everyones opinion on here is the same, because I was reading posts before i joined. and its great that you rescue goldfish, but i'm sure that those goldfish weren't being taken care of. and that is what is wrong with them, not the size of the tank!

Wow. Just wow. You ask for advise and some one gives it to you and you throw it on the ground. Now you might of kept two gold fish in a 5 gallon tank for a year or so. Well you say one died (never good when a fish dies) well don't you think that if the size of the tank wasn't the problem then why the fish die. Especially since you say that you "took care of them". Not to mention that the advise you were given is correct gold fish and fish in general will get bigger and be happier in a bigger tank. If you don't want to listen to some ones advise. Don't ask for it and if you don't like it you don't have to be rude about it. Thank you that is all.

P.s tell your parents to get you a bigger tank.

Let's please stay civil here. There is no need to be combative.
Moved to Freshwater - General Discussion. You will get more advice and opinions here.

Last edited:
Mumma is completely right about the goldfish but what you do with your goldfish is totally up to you. We are here to give you the best advice possible and here is my opinion and please don't think of it as an attack. If you can't get a larger tank try rehoming the fish. If you can't or don't want to rehome the goldfish just keep up with water changes. Goldfish produce allot of waste. I had four fancy goldfish and a small koi in my 29 gallon and had many troubles. Mumma had suggested finding a home for them which I took in careful consideration and decided to do it. They went into a friend of my brothers small pond and they are very happy and healthy and growing like crazy. If you want something like tiger barbs then the goldfish will need to be moved they are a different water temp than the goldfish and can be semi aggressive. So if they did survive in your tank they would more than likely nip the fins of your Goldie

Tabathalouisee said:
My 2 goldfish have lived in that tank for almost a year now, and have been extremly happy. So you can't say that my tank isn't big enough. It is actually quite big for a 5 gallon, So Your advice isn't very trust worthy, because none of it is true, So thanks but no thanks.

I consider mumma of twos advice very helpful and it has helped me many a time
She is correct that the fish need a much larger tank
It is very true and very trustworthy
Every peice of advice I have been given from her is correct and works
Also the tiger barbs need a 30-40 gallon tank at the minimum
Also a five gal is a five gal, no five gal is bigger than another five gal so how is yours bigger?

christine2012 said:
Why not just get a betta? They are colorful.

Not with a Goldfish. Tank is already overstocked.

IF you want my advice...
5g is only suitable for 1 Betta
Or set up a Planted Tank with Red Cherry Shrimp
The only other fish I'd consider would be Chili Rasboras with Shrimp not with Betta.

But only if the Goldfish is moved out first.

Goldfish are poop machines and need LARGE tanks to grow and thrive and they can live over 20years !!!!

Yours died at 1 year, I don't call that a success.
There is a lot of BAD info about Goldfish. I'm sure you want your remaining fish to thrive not just survive ???

Fact, I know a man with a 18 year old Fancy Goldfish. I helped him save it when it was sick. His 17 year old Goldie had just died.
He keeps his in a 75g tank with 2 canister filters.
He does big PWCs once a week. He wants this fish to live as long as possible.

The only thing the man did wrong was over salting his tank. Once we got his water stabilized his fish did great !!!

I've worked in LFSs and my local Petsmart. People came from long distances to buy fish from me because I cared about the fish and gave good advice.

A year old Goldfish should be a lot bigger than a 5g tank :(

Good Luck. I hope you stick around and keep learning.

For now TEST your water !!!
Please post results.
I'd do an immediate Large water change !!

Ammonia is your major Killer

I am only 14, you can not expect me to be nice about everything. I take care of my fish tank, change the water once every 2 weeks, and as of the betta everyone keeps suggesting I DON'T WANT JUST ONE FISH. I got some good advice from a very kind man that wasn't rude about everything. He told me that I should look into Mollies, or Angelfish. So as of the information that all of you are telling me, my 5 gallon tank is big enough. And for you people telling me to tell my parents to get me a bigger tank, my mother told me that I can't have a bigger one until she makes sure I will keep the small one clean and the fish alive, and as of the goldfish dying we found out why it died, and it wasn't from me not caring for it, It had ICH, So you can NOT critize me. I very much appriciate the people who are trying to give me advice and NOT be rude about it, So keep your rude comments to yourselves. I am going to be getting fish, and I am moving my goldfish into a differnt tank that I have already had, and it is only 2.5 gallon, my friend kept a goldfish in this tank for 6 and a half years and then moved it to the pond in her back yard. So thanks for the helpful advice, but I don't need rude comments!!!!!!!!!!

And for anyone that thinks I am being rude, I'm very sorry, I just don't like people that are rude because some people don't have room or can't afford a bigger tank! so Don't think I don't appriciate advice, but I don't want just saying that my tank isn't big enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tabathalouisee said:
I am only 14, you can not expect me to be nice about everything. I take care of my fish tank, change the water once every 2 weeks, and as of the betta everyone keeps suggesting I DON'T WANT JUST ONE FISH. I got some good advice from a very kind man that wasn't rude about everything. He told me that I should look into Mollies, or Angelfish. So as of the information that all of you are telling me, my 5 gallon tank is big enough. And for you people telling me to tell my parents to get me a bigger tank, my mother told me that I can't have a bigger one until she makes sure I will keep the small one clean and the fish alive, and as of the goldfish dying we found out why it died, and it wasn't from me not caring for it, It had ICH, So you can NOT critize me. I very much appriciate the people who are trying to give me advice and NOT be rude about it, So keep your rude comments to yourselves. I am going to be getting fish, and I am moving my goldfish into a differnt tank that I have already had, and it is only 2.5 gallon, my friend kept a goldfish in this tank for 6 and a half years and then moved it to the pond in her back yard. So thanks for the helpful advice, but I don't need rude comments!!!!!!!!!!

And for anyone that thinks I am being rude, I'm very sorry, I just don't like people that are rude because some people don't have room or can't afford a bigger tank! so Don't think I don't appriciate advice, but I don't want just saying that my tank isn't big enough.

I believe we are not the ones being rude here. You can't really play the teenager card because I'm 17. Just let it be known that everyone who has commented is extremely experienced and extremely correct. I am sorry that it wasn't the advice you wanted to hear but its all very correct. I would not recommend anything for a 5 gallon besides a single betta and some shrimp, maybe some zebra nerite snails. If you want more fish of different varieties you absolutely need a larger tank.

paytertot, I do not mean to be rude, I just do not like when people say that my tank isn't big enough. I have no choice but to use this tank right now! And as of the Betta, I want more than one fish in my tank, and I asked a man who is VERY experienced and he said I would be able to hold up to 5 fish in my tank, My tank is a big rectangular 5 gallon, it is quite big. Sorry if I sound rude, I am just trying to get advice, but not on Betta's. Pulling more towards Mollies, Angelfish, or Cherry Barbs!

Well the fact of the matter is that the tank is not big enough plain and simple. I know that kids like us can not buy bigger tanks whenever we want. We live under our parents roofs and we have to obey their rules, but we can control what fish we buy for the tanks. We have a betta fish and it is in a 2.5 gallon tank and i feel it is way too small but we can not upgrade from that right now. You tank is probably great, but not for goldfish or angelfish that can easily get well over a foot long if they are in the proper enviroment. I hope you dont think i am criticizing you, because im not. I just think you are being a little naive to the problem. It is clear that the wellfare of the fish is not your first priority considering all you want is to have multiple fish.

Ps: I am 16 and i love this site. Everyone on here is great and for the most part i get along with everyone. There are many other teenagers on here and we all try to be as mature as possible to that this site remains informative and helpful. I hope you can do the same. Thanks.

Tabathalouisee said:
paytertot, I do not mean to be rude, I just do not like when people say that my tank isn't big enough. I have no choice but to use this tank right now! And as of the Betta, I want more than one fish in my tank, and I asked a man who is VERY experienced and he said I would be able to hold up to 5 fish in my tank, My tank is a big rectangular 5 gallon, it is quite big. Sorry if I sound rude, I am just trying to get advice, but not on Betta's. Pulling more towards Mollies, Angelfish, or Cherry Barbs!

I will definitely give you advice. I know you're disappointed about it all, but really 5 fish is not going to be a good idea. I know it looks big, but its about the bioload, not necessarily space. Until you can get another tank, its important to make this one a happy fish environment

Okay, But with the issue of my tank not being big enough, I have already talked to one person today that said I would be able to have that many fish in there. And I am thankful for advice But I just want a lively tank. And yes I do care about my fishes well being, and I am very sorry if you think that I don't. Just understand I am trying to be as mature as possible, because I do not want people like some of you being rude to me. Which you have already accomplished. Thanks for the advice, But now I need to know how to delete posts. :(

Woah! I am sorry to disagree, but it is absolutely not rude to explain the individual needs of a fish to somebody. None of us here can afford all the tanks we want and everybody is limited by money and space. That is not an excuse. Furthermore, we can indeed ask you to be nice despite your age because you agreed to the forum rules which include, "be nice."
Fact: Your tank is not big enough to house some species of fish if you want them to be healthy long term, just like a 20g isn't enough to hold a alligator gar and a 40g isn't big enough for a whale shark.
There are lots of very cool species that would be awesome in your tank like ember tetras or chili rasboras.

Last edited:
Woah, what a reaction to sound advice! Anyway....

Another option could be Endler Guppies (not common or fancy guppies mind you).

Back
Top Bottom