New to this forum. Help my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tohsisseJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all. So I'm new to the forum. It's actually my first forum I've ever done. But my tank is mid cycle. I have a 29g tank brand new. Just upgraded my large family of platies from a 10g tank. And moved my Betta in out of his bowl he was residing in. I have 6 adults (1 male) about 4 teenagers 10 kids and "Mary" just dropped more fry after their move into the tank. Although I am noticing everyone looks less colorful. As if the orange fell off and you can see right through their stomachs. Any ideas?? Only my mamas. My males color seems normal. ThankksssImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397485058.475745.jpg

your water quality is not good. Make sure your testing and doing required wc's to bring ammonia and nitrites down.

what are your reading?

Thanks I've been testing my ph but not for nitrates. It is a new tank though they were in a crowded 10g tank. I've just been reading on the forum and my own knowledge of fish tankery

For testing nitrates, if it's a two bottle kit, shake bottle #2 like if your life depends if it, of they often test 0ppm. Else shake bottle #3.

What about TDS in the water ?

If you rehomed the fish recently, they may appear pale, as they're stressed.

You need to get a liquid test kit to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. These are the things you should be testing, which is why everyone is asking what your levels are. If you could tell us these 3 levels, we will be able to help you much more :). Contrary to popular belief, pH is probably one of the least important things that needs to be monitored because fish adapt to it very easily, and it usually stays relatively constant in an aquarium.
Because you have only been monitoring pH, it makes me wonder if you really know what cycling is. What exactly do you mean by your tank being "mid-cycle"?
If your tank is new and cycling, you probably have high ammonia which is very toxic to fish.
But good news! If you have a tank that is already cycled, just take a piece of the filter media, and put it in your cycling tank. This will jump start the cycle to get you that good bacteria you need.
Here's a couple great articles to explain it all:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

Good point, if your not able to buy a kit to test then make sure daily 50% wcs and feed lightly every other day till you get a hold of what's going on in the tank.

Soo... I went and got the kit to test all levels. Ph is 7.4 ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 5.0. I use an Aquaponic filter and by mid cycle... By my understanding it take up to 6 weeks for the fish to adapt and cycle the tank ran for about 8 days before I introduced the fish and now they are living in the tank

CYcle is established if you have a real 0NH3+NH4, 0NO2 and some NO3.

There's no need for "acclimatation for the cycle". Only for PH/KH/GH/Temp and trace elements. And this is done by floating bag and put some tank water in the bag for an hour.

Keep monitoring NH3+NH4 and NO2, if you still get 0, then cycle is established for the bioload you have.

Sweet. Thanks. So what do I do about their color??

Do you have a picture ? Maybe wait, and improve food quality. Froozen food is understood to improve fish color.

Maybe the fish is stressed, for no reason I know in your setup, but stress decrease fishs colors. Is he hiding ?

Sweet. Thanks. So what do I do about their color??

Fish become pale when they are stressed. Once the water quality improves from water changes, and your cycle finishes, they should return to their normal color :)

I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't resist. And needed something to help me with my population control. In such a small community. My Micky is going to drop soon along with "Mary" any day. Again...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397700490.195978.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397700512.472084.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397700530.047157.jpg

Back
Top Bottom