New to water testing. Lil' advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a test kit for Ammo, nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, ph, and hardness.

ammo and nitrite were at the lowest levels, and all the others except Nitrate seemed nominal. This means I'm cycled at least right?

I just did a 25% water change and tested the water. Nitrates looked to be about 40 ppm. From what I've read, that's a bit high. Should I change some more?

p.s. I have an oscar and I hear they're extra messy compared to other fish. Should I consider doing more than 25% a week?

New to water testing. Lil' advice?
Don't drink the test reagents!! :biglol:

The tank is cycled. Most fish can handle nitrates up to 40-60ppm. Oscars are messy and you may consider doing more of a water change, say 35%. I would not do more than 35%, unless the water parameters are BAD. If you feel this is not enough, do two 25% PWC weekly.
10 gal, soon to be upgraded significantly, with an albino oscar, and tiger oscar (neither over 2" long) and a pleco.
I would do the two PWCs, as you have two messy oscars and a pooing pleco all in the confines of a 10 gal tank.

Cool. Thanks.

BTW, I just got my funds today, and the search starts and hopefully ends tomorrow for a 90 or so gallon tank. :D

Back
Top Bottom