New (used) 160 (200)gal tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We bought a new tank last night off of Craig's list. aquadvisor thinks that it's 208.7g but we were told 160. Any way to be sure with out using buckets? It's 72 inches long, 24 inches high and 24 inches deep. We bought two marineland emperor 400 filters. We have everything running, but I forgot the ammonia so I wi buy it tomorrow and officially start fish less. I took some fake plants out of my 30g and we added the substrate. I'm very impressed with the noise level of the filter. Sounds like a water fall.

Any ideas for a stock list? We are very interested in angels but open to suggestions. It is going to be a heavily planted tank with co2. Our 30g is thriving with the set up even with crappy lights so with the big tank we are going to go all out on LEDs--we think.

History: it all started with the failed pond attempt and the two male guppies who needed-deserved a good home. Craigslist=instant 30g tall. Ended up with a sick guppy a week later so we got a 5g to cycle for hospital tank. Some one heard we were in to tanks and handed us a used 3g betta cube thing (no betta inside), and now we are drowning in danio fry and ghost shrimpettes. Some how 160g sounded like the answer. Except haha it's not. We aren't sticking fry in the 160... Sigh. My name is Emily and I have a problem.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401343661.509706.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401343661.509706.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 142
Is it a square shape?

I had converted to centimetres so

72 x 24 x 24 x 2.54 x 2.54 x 2.54 = 680,000ml or 680l.

680l / 3.79 (convert to US gal)

= 179 gal .

Lol - doesn't agree with anyone.

Have you measured it? Looks like maybe its.only 18" deep?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it a square shape?

I had converted to centimetres so

72 x 24 x 24 x 2.54 x 2.54 x 2.54 = 680,000ml or 680l.

680l / 3.79 (convert to US gal)

= 179 gal .

Lol - doesn't agree with anyone.

I agree (more or less, converted to cm and worked out litres)

I did measure it but I can remeasure again. According to that very helpful site it looks like it's 180g. Either way it's massive for us.

I'm excited! We were considering blue rams and angels but the rams seem like they might be a pain. And aquadvisor is complaining that the water temps don't match. :-/

Very lucky you, my biggest at the moment is a 55g, and my hubby is building me a corner tank at some point which will be approx 100/125 g ..

Angels are lovely , I've just adopted a neglected angel (named him Bruce) he was black when I got him out of his very very green tank, but now he is marbled and lovely ..he's my first angelfish .

I remember that post! Remind me, does he have any tank mates? Is there a way to be certain of the gender?

We were thinking of getting six small ones and letting them grow up together. Or are they better alone or in pairs?

Hey... 160, 180. It's a sweet setup either way.. if I had one that big I'd do a hugeeee school of rummy nose tetras, 60 of them, and angels, and maybe a shoal of 25 corys..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I remember that post! Remind me, does he have any tank mates? Is there a way to be certain of the gender?

We were thinking of getting six small ones and letting them grow up together. Or are they better alone or in pairs?

To be honest I don't know :)
His tank mates are corys ,guppies ,mollies and a bn Pleco (and 2 ottos I'm waiting for the pet shop to get more ottos they are like gold dust here)

Six small ones sounds lovely , there's enough room for them anyway :)

Maybe I'll stick my bully guppy in there so he will leave every one else alone. Little punk! Haha but I bet he will torment those poor angel fish to death.

Tetras are a great idea! I like the black widow long fin ones. But my bf likes the black neons. We are drowning in danios so I might need some where to put some of them of I can't find them all homes.

Maybe I'll stick my bully guppy in there so he will leave every one else alone. Little punk! Haha but I bet he will torment those poor angel fish to death.

Tetras are a great idea! I like the black widow long fin ones. But my bf likes the black neons. We are drowning in danios so I might need some where to put some of them of I can't find them all homes.

How cool... I have both in my 55 out of the two I think I prefer black skirt tetras(black widow) I also have harlequins in there too... I like those :) I bought 4 more skirts last week in qt at the moment so I will have 4 black and 4 white skirts when they join the others :)

We don't have much choice here in the Canary Islands, so I have to love what I can get ;)

Angel fish are awesome fish and rams should do fine with them plenty of people have done it before with out any problems but you could also check out some apistogramma species they are really pretty...and for sexing angels it is nearly impossible to do until they breed and you see the papilla the males is skinnier and the females is larger...but I highly recommend some angels

Update: cycle is going well. We think the tank is closer to 178g. I'm about to give up on lfs stores. The guy at the mom and pop store told me my tank wouldn't cycle unless I put a handful of feeders in for a couple weeks "when you're done, no big deal just flush them" the girl at the big box store told me that if I put ammonia in my water I'll kill my fish "yes, that's why there aren't any fish in my tank yet. What do you think bacteria eats?" "Nothing. They just show up with time..." *face palm* then she told this other customer "no you can't put a gold fish in that bowl." (Yay!!) "but you can put a minimum of three female bettas in there or one male" (NO!) the bowl was less than a quart. The guy waked away with betta food and three females. I tried to talk to him but it was no use.

We're getting ready to order some drift wood and the lights-maybe next week. We still need the co2 tank and plants before we seriously start looking for fish.
I'm thinking it's going to be an other two weeks before we could consider putting any fish in anyway so we are taking our sweet time. Even if the tank is fully cycled the fish don't go in until we have all the plants and decor finished.

Canary- harlequin rasbora?! I love them too. My new favorite schooling community fish. They have great personality.

Jevi- I looked them up and it says they're hard to keep alive? I don't want to kill any fish :( def going with angels though. The only question is how many.

Here is what I was thinking:
1. 5-6 angels (getting very small young ones) love the black lace but we plan to get an assortment.
2. 6 long fin black widows
3. 6 nerite snails (aquadvisor says the angels will eat them... If every one agrees I will leave them out.)
4. 10 ghosties (again if the angels will eat them I will leave them out)

I really wanted a yoyo, but the substrate won't work, then I was thinking of clowns but I don't want 5 1ft long fish cramped in my tank. Flying fox seems viable if I can keep just one.

Sounds great!

What substrate are you looking at? I have yo yo loaches in fine, rounded gravel and they are ok. Get to about 4 inches in mine which is a 4ft. I also looked at clown loaches but didn't like the size.

Sounds great!

What substrate are you looking at? I have yo yo loaches in fine, rounded gravel and they are ok. Get to about 4 inches in mine which is a 4ft. I also looked at clown loaches but didn't like the size.

We have the small round river rock stuff.

We have the small round river rock stuff.

Well see what others think. From what I've seen they should do fine and will poke into crevices to clean up missed food. All mine still look to have barbels in good shape and 3 or 4 will do well. They are generally good with other fishes although very curious.

Yes harlequin rasboras ..they are cool little fish..

Good luck with the cycle , and really looking forward to seeing some after pics :)

I'm going to buy some more bst tomorrow and qt for 2 weeks to go in with my others... They are such cute fellas .. (I've plenty room now as I just rehomed my huge Pleco and his man cave ;))

Back
Top Bottom