Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New / Used Tank questions....

So I picked up a new ( to me ) used tank with most of the materials needed to fire it up.

Spent the last few days making sure the tank was clean and leak free, rinsed off all of the gravel for it ( as best possible ) and filled the tank with it and water. ( I did put conditioner in it )

SO...I know that it will need to be cleaned more, as there seems to be a fair amount of residual from the gravel. The media in the filter is pretty well worn so I'm thinking of just getting all new media, but don't see the point until the substrate (?) is clean as I can get it.

ANY advice would be good ( and pretty much the reason I'm here in the first place )

Let me know what I need to tell ya and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance !!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are a load of questions that will give people a better idea of your setup... What kind of filtration are you using? I'd stuff some filter floss in a canister or hang on the back filter to clear up any debris. What is the tank intended for (freshwater? Type of fish? Plants? Etc). What size is the tank?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with the filter floss in the filter. If it were me I would probably replace the old substrate you got with the tank with new just to prevent any disease and going through all the work of trying to clean it. When I do clean substrate I just run in through a spaghetti colander with the garden hose or kitchen sink. stirring it around as the water flows through it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStav View Post
Here are a load of questions that will give people a better idea of your setup... What kind of filtration are you using? I'd stuff some filter floss in a canister or hang on the back filter to clear up any debris. What is the tank intended for (freshwater? Type of fish? Plants? Etc). What size is the tank?
It's got a aqua pro 30-60 filter on it, will be used for freshwater not sure about fish or plants and it's a 45 gallon set up.

There's an airiator(?) for a bubble wall and that's all I have right now. Until I can take care of the basics I won't be doing anything with it although in the end I think I'd like to get at least a couple of groups of schooling fish like tetras and something compatible.

My son, who has autism, is into watching how they interact with his 10G tank in his room so I thought it would be something that I could enjoy with him.

I remember one tank I had years ago that even with PWC's I couldn't get the nitrates down to where I thought they should be so that always sticks in the back of my mind as something to avoid.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's great, aquariums are awesome for the whole family, just be warned that this hobby has a tendency of becoming a money pit!

Have a look into fish less cycling, there's a really in depth thread on here about it. Also I suggest that you look into a canister filter that's rated for upto 100g. I'm not a freshwater person but I'm sure you will get a lot of info from the people on this forum.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My son, who has autism, is into watching how they interact with his 10G tank in his room so I thought it would be something that I could enjoy with him.
Sorry to derail your topic, but I think it is great you are doing this with your son. A lady I am seeing has a daughter that is autistic, I may just set up a tank for them and see how it works! Thank you for this idea!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Sorry to derail your topic, but I think it is great you are doing this with your son. A lady I am seeing has a daughter that is autistic, I may just set up a tank for them and see how it works! Thank you for this idea!
No problem When his attention span is piqued he'll sit and watch if for 30-60 minutes. It works pretty well when he's agitated and helps to regulate his behaviors a bit more.

He's got a room that's pretty much an eastern philosophy ( Buddhist ) theme and the tank fit in rather well.

This one, though, will be in the living room as I could use some calming / meditative work to do as well.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck, cant wait to see the outcome. Tanks are such a great way to unwind for everyone.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com