Newbie Help: Dwarf Gourami & 3 Corydoras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have (or soon will have) a 5 gallon aquarium that I'm going to be putting in our kitchen. I would have preferred to go up to at least a 10 gallon aquarium but my wife vetoed that idea and it would have probably looked too large for the space I'm needing to put it anyway.

So, in that 5 gallon aquarium I would like to put a Dwarf Gourami and 3 Corydoras.

I have several questions that I'm hoping you can help this newbie with:
1) Will a 5 gallon aquarium handle the dwarf gourami and 3 corydoras?
2) Are the 3 corydoras a good match for the dwarf gourami?
3) I would say that these 4 are probably pushing the max capacity of the tank...if not, what could I add that wouldn't be a strain on the tank but would get along with everyone else?
4) What substrate should I use with the DG and the CDs? Knowing my wife well, I know she would prefer colorful gravel that has some purple in it (to match our kitchen decor).
5) Several years ago was the first time I cycled a tank and when I did, I used three fish to do so (I think I used zebra danios). What is the preferred way to cycle a tank now?
6) What other advice can you give me to help make this aquarium a success for the fish?

Thank you for any and all advice you can give.

TripleB67

A tank that size is too small for either of those species. I would say 10g+ for either species (with some exceptions).

I have (or soon will have) a 5 gallon aquarium that I'm going to be putting in our kitchen. I would have preferred to go up to at least a 10 gallon aquarium but my wife vetoed that idea and it would have probably looked too large for the space I'm needing to put it anyway.

So, in that 5 gallon aquarium I would like to put a Dwarf Gourami and 3 Corydoras.

I have several questions that I'm hoping you can help this newbie with:
1) Will a 5 gallon aquarium handle the dwarf gourami and 3 corydoras?
2) Are the 3 corydoras a good match for the dwarf gourami?
3) I would say that these 4 are probably pushing the max capacity of the tank...if not, what could I add that wouldn't be a strain on the tank but would get along with everyone else?
4) What substrate should I use with the DG and the CDs? Knowing my wife well, I know she would prefer colorful gravel that has some purple in it (to match our kitchen decor).
5) Several years ago was the first time I cycled a tank and when I did, I used three fish to do so (I think I used zebra danios). What is the preferred way to cycle a tank now?
6) What other advice can you give me to help make this aquarium a success for the fish?

Thank you for any and all advice you can give.

TripleB67

1.) NO
2.)Yes
3.)It is way over the max capacity, I would have 3 guppies and an apple snail or a male betta and an apple snail.
4.)If you were getting corys, you should get sand, as it is a thinner substrate and won't erode the corys' barbels like gravel
5 and 6.)Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom