Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Newbie :) Help identifying fish :)

Hello im new to the hobby im about two months in and addicted! Not even sure if im posting this in the right section of the forum

I recently bought two fish from Petco (they were the only two left) and LOVE the way they look. they haven't got anymore in and when I try and look them up on the internet by what they were labeled as nothing similar comes up. I also went to my LFS (with out pic) I couldn't find them and they had no idea what I was talking about lol. Ill attach a pic any help would be great thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120923_115717.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	120262

Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like a painted tetra. Unfortunately, anything painted doesn't last long because they are dyed with artificial stuff. I would return them if you can.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could be a white skirt tetra. I don't see any dye.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1 for white skirt tetra, that's what it looks like to me.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's that pink stuff near the gills? I don't know.....I keep tetras myself, and that looks painted to me. White skirts are all white.....the "painted" part starts to wear off.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks when I looked white skirt tetras up and saw pictures they were shaped similar but mine are transparent with a really slight slight pink to them. Also i have yet to see any tetras with a huge dark eye like mine. I thought the pink near the gills was something I was seeing from the inside since they are pretty transparent. I hope they are not dyed because I really love the way they look, that would be a bummer. I guess ill go back to the store see if they have gotten more (the tag said new fish) and ask more questions if they happen to have more.

Oh and since we are on the subject of tetras can Danios be mixed with tetras I think I may have been misinformed because my Danios are chasers. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to tamtam
It's a white skirt, the pink is just part of their inside anatomy, you can see through the fish so the pink comes through and gives it that blushing look. I'm sure if you get up close to the fish and take a good look you will see more of the insides as well.

I'm not sure what cases it in some and not others but it's a pretty common thing. It could be selective breeding or maybe it's just visible in younger ones and as they grow it changes.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to tamtam
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadov86 View Post
Thanks when I looked white skirt tetras up and saw pictures they were shaped similar but mine are transparent with a really slight slight pink to them. Also i have yet to see any tetras with a huge dark eye like mine. I thought the pink near the gills was something I was seeing from the inside since they are pretty transparent. I hope they are not dyed because I really love the way they look, that would be a bummer. I guess ill go back to the store see if they have gotten more (the tag said new fish) and ask more questions if they happen to have more.

Oh and since we are on the subject of tetras can Danios be mixed with tetras I think I may have been misinformed because my Danios are chasers. Thanks again!
They usually can be tank mates though there are things that can of course weigh against it. IF your schools aren't big enough they will be more aggressive than normal. If you tank is too small it can be similar.

What sort of danios do you have?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Weird.....I have never seen them like that. Yes, you should have them in a school of at least 6, preferably 10. Wonderful to watch. I have black skirts, they are great.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wait a sec....how big is your tank?

Tags
identifying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com