Newbie help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayMyBoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i received a 5 gallon fish tank for a present for Christmas and wanted to know what I can do with it? I've never had an aquarium before and want to do it right although I know it's tiny! I thought of having a shrimp tank. My concern is my water. I have well water and its high in tannins. It's been recently tested for safety and all is ok. I've filled up the tank and have had the tank running for 4 days. My ph is at least 8.5 nitrites are 20. Nitrates are .25 also the water is very soft and alkaline. Sorry if I have my nitrites and nitrates backwards. I don't have the test in front of me. I'm so new at this I don't remember which is which! Any advice what I can do for this water and tank? It literally looks like a black water tank without trying! Thanks!

Read about fishless cycling first, while that goes on you can start researching the types of shrimp that would be good for your setup/kinds you like. Cherry shrimp are usually a pretty basic shrimp that can breed in fresh water, so they're also fun too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom