Newbie help with 63 liter tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikesabino

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I'm a complete noob in keeping fish. And recently we got a 63Liter 20in x 12in tank, substrate is a half inch of gravel and on top of it is another half inch of what I would like to think is flourite black, but local shop just shovelled it in a bag and sold it to me per kilo.

I've cycled the tank and just a couple of days ago the water has cleared up. While cycling the tank I had in there a small collection of fishes:
2 neon green rasbora
4 balloon mollies 2 white 2 black
2 red wag platies
2 black phantom tetra
1 bristenose pleco
1 male betta in a submersible acrylic breeder box (scared to let it out to mingle)

I have the Eheim Pickup 200 in the tank as well as the filter built into the tank that goes up to the hood and into some filter media that includes some white filter foam and I added ceramic rings underneath and towards the exit spout a mesh sleeve of purigen.

Now for the question, is this tank overstocked? I'd like to add some guppies in there as my daughter likes them, can I? how many can I add if ever?

Thanks for any answers :)

I would hold off adding anything new. It appears to be at capacity (I like to under stock).
How did you cycle the tank and for how long? Normally that takes 3-6 weeks.

I would hold off adding anything new. It appears to be at capacity (I like to under stock).
How did you cycle the tank and for how long? Normally that takes 3-6 weeks.

Thanks for the response, took about 3 weeks... tests are fine according to the tetra test strips (No ammonia test). I just really waited till the cloudiness of the bloom goes away. I did 20% water changes every 3 days during the period as well.

Planning to remove the mollies/platys/tetras out and keep the tank just with guppies and some cardinal tetras in I think that would make the fishes happier lol.

Made the change in the tank, I removed 4 rowdy balloon mollies and 2 red wag platies after I think i saw them nibbling on the poor guppies.

Tank now has:
2 neon green rasboras
2 phantom tetras
6 cardinal tetras
6 guppies
2 pygmy cories
1 bristlenose pleco

they seem more peaceful now, but after listing out the count here I may have over stocked this tank lol

Currently running a top filter with wool, ceramic rings, purigen and an eheim pickup 200 (2012) with half normal sponge and half carbon sponge.

Back
Top Bottom