Newbie~ here help !! fish keep on dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrates at 10 ppm are good, as long as they not exceed 40ppm you d be ok....

The important ones right now to keep close to 0ppm are the ammonia and the nitrites.....

Yes your water parameters are much better now, keep daily readings and do 50% PWC as needed to maintain ammonia and nitrites low...... Don't forget to use a dechlorinator in the new water before you added to the tank. Hopefully you can get a product called PRIME.

With time, you will see that the tank will grow the good bacterias, and you will notice that less frequent water changes will be required, until you arrive to the point that no ammonia and no nitrites are detected.

opps i dint add in any dechlorine solution in it ...

anywhere i found the PRIME solution u mentioning

fresh 'n' marine aQuarium Singapore

am i getting the right product ?

Nitrates at 10 ppm are good, as long as they not exceed 40ppm you d be ok....

The important ones right now to keep close to 0ppm are the ammonia and the nitrites.....

Yes your water parameters are much better now, keep daily readings and do 50% PWC as needed to maintain ammonia and nitrites low...... Don't forget to use a dechlorinator in the new water before you added to the tank. Hopefully you can get a product called PRIME.

With time, you will see that the tank will grow the good bacterias, and you will notice that less frequent water changes will be required, until you arrive to the point that no ammonia and no nitrites are detected.

I'm glad you're working hard and listening to all the good advice the members have been sharing with you. Unfortunately, this is just another sad example of lfs's selling fish no questions asked without educating their customers. I guess it happens in countries all over the world.

Sadly, its all about the $$$$$. Not the enjoyment of it all.
But then again, I'm kind of cynical....

does anyone here come across with a product called

Aquamaster Water Ager Chlorine Neutraliser

is it as good as prime ?

tangoone1 said:
does anyone here come across with a product called

Aquamaster Water Ager Chlorine Neutraliser

is it as good as prime ?

I don't think I've ever used that, just make sure it takes out chloramines as well as chlorine as most city water usually has both. I'd definitely recommend Prime as it's tried and tested and what most people use. However, if you havent used any dechlor yet you've gotta get something in there ASAP.

Hey, I'm also new to Tanks is it ok to let the water rest 24 hours before addding it to the tank. Because I read that since chlorine is a gas it would evaporate in that time, or is the prime absolutely necesarry?

andresdeo said:
Hey, I'm also new to Tanks is it ok to let the water rest 24 hours before addding it to the tank. Because I read that since chlorine is a gas it would evaporate in that time, or is the prime absolutely necesarry?

Chloramines do not evaporate, only chlorine. That's part of why the citys use it. You definitely need Prime unless you're on well water.

eco23 said:
Chloramines do not evaporate, only chlorine. That's part of why the citys use it. You definitely need Prime unless you're on well water.

I live in Lima, Peru so i'll better find out what they add to water here. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks.

Hi guys... i did another test on the water today again, found out as below

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrate 10 mg/l <- using interpet easy tablet test kit
Nitrite 0 ppm

The rest all using API freshwater test

with the result above .. does it mean i have stabilize and cycle my fish in cycle ?

1 more question i am using a Fluval 304 External Canister Filters. inside the filters it come with 3 media basket

it is been set by the local aquarium shop as

Low - Ceramic Ring
Middle - Carbon
High - Ceramic Ring

is this placement correct ?

do you guys have any other recommendation ?

Those levels look like it is done cycling...but keep on checking it again for a the next few days so you are sure that the ammonia level and the nitrite will not go back up...

And keep on using the PRIME every PWC. You are doing a great job. Keep it up.

I have no experience with the Fluval unfortunately, so I cannot help you with that one. Some over here might be able to tell you..

daileene said:
Those levels look like it is done cycling...but keep on checking it again for a the next few days so you are sure that the ammonia level and the nitrite will not go back up...

And keep on using the PRIME every PWC. You are doing a great job. Keep it up.

I have no experience with the Fluval unfortunately, so I cannot help you with that one. Some over here might be able to tell you..

Hmmm seem like I had did finish my water cycle but strangely that does not stop my fish from dying tho..

Any other idea ? I think I'm mixing the wrong fish together ? Would that be issue here ?

My first thought when I saw this was to ask you if had dechlorinated the water before adding to the tank. Chlorine and chloromine will kill fish just as well as they kill bacteria. It burns their gills and makes it harder for them to breathe.

You also need to make sure that you are not subjecting your fish to thermal shock. The water added to the tank should be as close to the temperature of the water in the tank as possible. When in doubt, I always err to the warmer, but not too warm.

You also want to check to ensure that you don't have any dissolved metals or gasses in the water. Some metals are lethal to fish, as are some gasses that can occur in tap water. Most gasses can be removed by simply aerating water for a day or so before adding it to the tank. This also gives the water a chance to match the ambient room temperature. Metals can only be removed by using a water filter for the tap.

I may be wrong, but isn't that pH a little on the high side?

Back
Top Bottom