newbie here (sort of...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdieputt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
just got started with aquarium again. i had a 35gal tank which used to be the home of my arowana. sad to say it died because it jumped out of the water.

i'm starting to revive this tank. it has an external overhead filter with a submersible powerhead. old setup was that the inlet of the powerhead is connected to the tubing going to the undergravel filter.

this is what i plan to do now (or rather questions that bothers me)
1. is it ok not to put gravel (substrate) anymore since there is an overhead filter already and dish the undergravel filter? just a plain and clean tank.
2. is it ok to put gravel without the undergravel filter?

your advices will help me a lot.

Hi Birdieputt (cool nickname) :D . IMO you'll have alot LESS problems without the UGF. Also have no gravel makes the tank much easier to keep clean. So the answer to both your questions is yes. Just make sure you have enough biofiltration in your tank. You might want to hook the submersible power head to a sponge filter to help with that.

What fish are you planning on keeping? Please don't say an arowana because that tank is way to small.

BrianNY said:
Hi Birdieputt (cool nickname) :D . IMO you'll have alot LESS problems without the UGF. Also have no gravel makes the tank much easier to keep clean. So the answer to both your questions is yes. Just make sure you have enough biofiltration in your tank. You might want to hook the submersible power head to a sponge filter to help with that.

What fish are you planning on keeping? Please don't say an arowana because that tank is way to small.

First of all, thanks for your informative input. To answer your question, No... i don't plan to put an arowana... and yeah the tank is small for this fish but this is just its startup tank since my arowana was just 4 inches. I plan to put a Flower Head instead..something that is easy to maintain since i am quite lazy in cleaning.

so you are saying that i can put gravel without UGF? and one more thing... the power head has 2 outputs right? one is for the return to the overhead filter and one for the recycling(or rather that stirs) the water. this the one with a connected air intake tube with control valve at the end. doesn't it stresses the fish with its current or bubbles?

[center:539ad1015b] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, birdieputt! :n00b: [/center:539ad1015b]
All fish require a clean tank, even a lazy person like myself gets out the fish bucket every other week to gravel vacuum and remove 25% of the water (out of 6 tanks :wink:).

Back
Top Bottom