Newbie in need of help! New tank, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll test the ammonia levels straight away. Is there nothing I can do. He is kinda twitching every now and again. Was separating him the best thing to do?

You were right nimo. The ammonia level has risen to 2.0 ppm

My fighter is in too much distress. It's is barely moving and there is no hope for him. I have decided the best thing to do is to help him die. How can I do this as quick and painless as possible? He isn't moving at all now unless I disturb the water around him

You were right nimo. The ammonia level has risen to 2.0 ppm

My fighter is in too much distress. It's is barely moving and there is no hope for him. I have decided the best thing to do is to help him die. How can I do this as quick and painless as possible? He isn't moving at all now unless I disturb the water around him

No improvement at all?

Not even moving. I actually thought he had died and I was trying to scoop him put the bucket when I think I saw him twitch. He's not even blue anymore. His fins and long flowing tail have completely gone. He's sick beyond help and I can't watch him suffer anymore. I've looked online and people say if your fish is suffering and is beyond help you should put him in water with clover oil but I don't have any.

What else can I do so that I don't make him suffer anymore

Fill a bowl with water and ice, then put it in the freezer and let it freeze even more so there's just enough liquid to submerge him. Net him out and submerge him quickly. The cold will shock his system and he will die instantly and painlessly.

You can do the same in boiling water.

Fill a bowl with water and ice, then put it in the freezer and let it freeze even more so there's just enough liquid to submerge him. Net him out and submerge him quickly. The cold will shock his system and he will die instantly and painlessly.

You can do the same in boiling water.

Yes Ice cold water is what I have used before. Drop ice cubes in a glass or bowl of water stire it up to get it good and cold. Instant with a fish that far gone

Very sorry for your loss.
Have you done a water change on the tank yet. I recommend 50% wait for a couple hours and test again if its still over 1 do another 50%. Make sure to put you declorinator in

It's a shame to have lost such a beautiful fish so early on. I have been doing 50% water change every single day. I don't understand it. I did another 50% water change and tested again and the ammonia has not dropped at all as far as I can tell. Doesn't seen to be dropping at all. Is a 50% water change not enough. The siphon doesn't work after I've taken that much water out.

Its a battle thats for sure. The fighting fish are very sensitive to the ammonia during a cycle. Not many make it. Thats why I get so angry at the darn pet shops they hire people who dont have no clue and then fish suffer so they can make a buck.

It makes me angry too. I feel responsible for that fish's life. I'm so angry at the pet shop for not giving me any information. I admit I was stupid and I should have researched it properly first. I'm just glad you guys were here to help or I could have lost them all.

It's made me even more determined to keep at it now and make sure that the same doesn't happen to the rest of them

I know how you feel. I felt so bad for the fish that I had going thru the cycle. Best thing to do is focus on the matter at hand which is fish you still have.
And from here out research everything. Ask questions here even if you think is a silly question believe me it pays off. There are no dumb or silly questions if you dont know or dont understand ask.

I will. I'm really grateful for all your help. Just wish the guys in the shop knew half as much as you.

I thank this forum for most of what I know. Theres always some one who can help. I still ask tons of questions.

Good to know. Seems like a really friendly place full of really knowledgeable people

Not even moving. I actually thought he had died and I was trying to scoop him put the bucket when I think I saw him twitch. He's not even blue anymore. His fins and long flowing tail have completely gone. He's sick beyond help and I can't watch him suffer anymore. I've looked online and people say if your fish is suffering and is beyond help you should put him in water with clover oil but I don't have any.

What else can I do so that I don't make him suffer anymore

Sad news

Afternoon guys.

Alas another day another disaster. I've lost another fish this morning. One of my X-ray tetras died I woke this morning to find him floating on his side round the tank not moving just being dragged along by the current. I've done another water change since and tested everything again.

Ph- 6.6
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

Could the constantly changing ammonia levels be harming the fish even more. Should I stop the water changes for a few days and let them rest?

Really don't wanna lose anymore of my fish :(

I to went full tilt into a tank with doing little research, added fish before knowing about cycling process, long story short, the only thing that got those poor little guys through it was religiously testing and changing water, stick with it! Almost there!!!

Afternoon guys.

Alas another day another disaster. I've lost another fish this morning. One of my X-ray tetras died I woke this morning to find him floating on his side round the tank not moving just being dragged along by the current. I've done another water change since and tested everything again.

Ph- 6.6
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

Could the constantly changing ammonia levels be harming the fish even more. Should I stop the water changes for a few days and let them rest?

Really don't wanna lose anymore of my fish :(

Your Ph is a little low. It should be atleast 7.
The ammonia on the other hand looks alot better.
Stay on top of water changes dont stop those! Water changes help keep the toxin levels at a minimum. Need to raise your Ph a little.

Back
Top Bottom