Newbie in need of help! New tank, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bcusick

Aquarium Advice Activist
I guys. I've wanted an aquarium for years and finally got one around a month ago. I made the water safe from chlorine when I first put it in and cycled the tank. I started slowly adding the fish like I had been told. I added 6 at first and left it for two weeks (turned into 7 cos one was pregnant) then added another 7 fish two weeks later. Everything was going fine. I looked online to see what my tank capacity was and from looking at different websites I learned that my tank was 'full' but I am running two filters and a massive bubble wall and when I bought my second filter the guy in the shop said if you're using two filters you can afford to add a few more fish. Not loads but a few. So I added three more fish and decided that it wouldn't add any more and this was a safe limit for the tank. That was 5 days ago and everything was going fine for a few days then three days ago my guppies started acting strangely.

I have 6 guppies in there and they all seem to be hanging around the bottom near the gravel. They're not laying on the gravel but are just above it. I have 4 glow light tetras and they appear fine, I have 3 xray tetras and they too appear fine. I have a siamese fighter that appears fine as far as I can see. And three tiny golden colored ones that I forget the name of they are also fine.

So it's just the guppies. They have been eating fine. I'm pretty sure one of the females is pregnant but I can't be certain and they haven't got any red discolouration near their gills like I have read can be linked to ammonia poisoning.

I have been doing 30% water changes every day for 3 days, using API stress coat plus to make the tap water safe. But it doesn't seem to have helped much.

The tank is 64 litre. I am using the filter that came with the tank and a fluval U2 along with a large bubble wall. The water is perfectly clear and has no smell whatsoever. I have not been over feeding as far as I am aware. Been feeding them once daily as much as they can eat in two minutes but there hasn't been anything to clear away anyway so I can't be feeding them too much.

I am really worried and at a bit of a loss as to what could be wrong.

Please give me some ideas as to what I can do to help them. I don't have the tools to measure amonia levels nitrate levels etc yet but I am going to buy a testing kit tomorrow.

Possibly the Tetras are harassing the guppies, or nipping their tails causing them to be reclusive. When you get time, watch the tank from outside the fishes view. If the guppies are chased or nipped at, then that could explain it. Since you say all the rest of the fish are acting normal, I assume their being harassed.

Yes, as you have described spend the money and purchase the API freshwater test kit - it tests ph, ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite.

It's really difficult to speculate what if anything is taking place, although it sounds as though you think you maybe overstocked.

The problem with adding additional filters is that the new filters are not seeded with beneficial bacteria and therefore won't help to correct overstocking.

It sounds like you cycled your tank with fish in, but adding them in groups of 6-7 might be too many at one time. Usually its like 2-3 depending on tank size.

So don't jump to conclusions and don't spend any more $ on equipment until you get the test kit and determine the status of your water quality.

You may have to do each test 2,3 maybe even 4 times to make certain of the result - they can be a little tricky to read. Do as many of the same test as it takes for you to feel comfortable and confident with the result.

Post back the above captioned results and we can help you determine what you need to do...

Glad to hear you are getting a test kit, it illustrates you understand the importance of your water quality. You are well on your way to being a great fish keeper - stay patient, research and read.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let you know the test results tomorrow night.

Also, if you have the funds I would pickup some live plants like anacharis, hornwort, water sprite (they are cheap).

You don't have to keep them long term if you don't want live plants, but they will help stabilize your tank.

These plants are all readily available and they don't need to be planted - they can float on the top and can help lower things like nitrate.

You would have to get a fairly sizable amount of plant matter to have a large impact on water params.

I will go ahead and suggest that you increase the amount of your water changes up to 50% while you are getting your test kit situation sorted out.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try and pick up some plants when I'm there. I'm a bit cautious of the plants now though because I've already ended up with a snail in the tank and I suspect it hitchhiked in on a plant and I've heard that they can multiple to a crazy amount and completely overtake your tank in just a few days. Is it a good idea to change 50% of the water at once. I've heard that changing that much at once can completely mess up the tank and possibly send the fish into shock.
What do you think guys. Should I do a 50% water change?

Thanks for your help btw

The snails will only breed depending on how much food there is available in the tank. If they breed out of control then you are feeding too much. They aren't a big issue imho but they do bug some people.

As for the 50% water change, it's perfectly safe for fish. The overwhelming majority of aquarists do a weekly 50% water change (myself included) and don't see any problems at all from it. Just make sure the water is temperature matched and you will be fine. The only time I would worry about doing large water changes is if there is an abundance of ammonia in your tap water.

Just want to second Mebbid's advice :)

While plants wont make an enormous difference to the water-quality, they do help, and the fish like them too - happy fish = less stressed fish.

Don't worry too much about snails. They don't increase that quickly. If you do get some, just pick it out of the tank, or crush it for the fish to eat. Pretty soon you'll have none left.

Hi guys.

So I've bought a testing kit.
Here were the results.

Ph - 7
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

Any thoughts?

I bought three plants aswell. If nothing else it'll give them someone to hide if they feel unwell

Well anytime your ammo or nitrite get over .25 do a water change. The fact that you don't have any Nitrate probably means your tank is not cycled. I would definetly not add anymore fish. It also looks like you maybe very overstocked. Your tank is just under 17g

Yes you can do a fish in cycle. You are gonna be doing alot of water changes. With your ammonia at .50 its going to climb higher with out water changes. 50% As soon as possible. I did my very first cycle with fish in its alot of work but worth it to keep your fish alive.
What water conditioner are you currently useing? I personaly recommend Prime if your local fish store carries it. It helps alot.
Test your water daily and do water changes daily to keep fresh water in thr tank while it cycles

if you have a .5ppm and replace half the water it will still be at .25 which is where most people start doing changes.

Do a 50% change and then wait an hour for the water to mix and do another 50%....that should drop it to about .125 which is plenty to get bacterial growth going but should be OK of the fish.

I have just done a 50% water change. The water conditioner I was previously using was API STRESS COAT+ but the man in the pet shop said that bale cause I'm doing so many water changes I should try one that also replaces beneficial bacteria. So tonight when I did my water change I used INTERPET 'bio active tap safe'

Also I changed 50% of the water and then left it for an hour then tested the ammonia levels again and they're still at 0.50ppm
Should this level not come down with silica a big water change?

Hi manicpenguin. I had replied before I saw your message. The app hadn't loaded it up when I looked.

You are in the beginning of the actual cycle. You are going to spike ammonia then the nitrites will start to spike usualy as the nitrites start you will see some nitrates start.
The product you bought I dont have any experiance with. I know right now water changes are gonna be your fishes best friend. Its gonna take between 6-8 weeks to complete the cycle. The bacteria additives have a little help but water changes and a good declorinator are your best bet.

I have just done a 50% water change. The water conditioner I was previously using was API STRESS COAT+ but the man in the pet shop said that bale cause I'm doing so many water changes I should try one that also replaces beneficial bacteria. So tonight when I did my water change I used INTERPET 'bio active tap safe'

Also I changed 50% of the water and then left it for an hour then tested the ammonia levels again and they're still at 0.50ppm
Should this level not come down with silica a big water change?

God I hate LFS people...

They pretty much conned you into buying that bottle of Interpet. The bacteria is found in the filter media not the water column. The water column really is pretty devoid of any sort of bacteria as it prefers to grow attached to something.

The ammonia level should come down but it might have risen a little higher inbetween the first test and the water change. That is also a very small amount of ammonia to detect so it's easy to get in between readings that look higher.

Thanks for the advice guys. My fish do seems a little happier today. Not a lot but it's a start. Once my tank is cycling how often and what % should I change my water?
25% twice a week?
Once the fish are better and the ammonia is lower

Your gonna be looking at about 50% daily more that likely till the cycle is done.
After that you might be doing about 25% twice weekly because you are quite heavily stocked.
I would recommend not adding any more fish.
The way I judge my water changes is testing several time a week. If at any point I have nitrate readings above .20 I do a 25% water change. This keeps the water fresh and fish happy

Back
Top Bottom