Newbie Needs Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fiancé and I just got our first pets together--6 sweet little fish. As we have never owned fish before, any advice would be helpful!

We have a 10-gallon starter aquarium, but love our fish so much, we hope to expand before long.

Our fish community we put together, mostly by guesses. So far they get along, so hopefully we made the right choice. I would love to know if they ARE compatible, and what other kinds of fish go well with them for when we do get a larger tank one day.

We have 3 glofish (Strawberry, Cheesehead, and Cheeto),

A kissing gouramis (Bubbles),

A 3-spot gouramis (Domino),

And a corydora (Scuttle).

Tank setup, we have a hood with light, a filtration system, gravel, a small rock cave, and artificial plants.

They eat tropical fish flakes. I read that Corydoras need a sinking pellet, so I'm going to go buy it some kind of food today. Any suggestions?

Did you cycle the tank? And Cory's would ideally be in groups of MINIMUM of 4; however 5 is ideal. :)

Your tank is a lil to small. The glowfish also like more of the same species. And gouramis can get aggressive as they age. But glad to see you are joining the hobby! Welcome aboard!

TankMan said:
Did you cycle the tank? And Cory's would ideally be in groups of MINIMUM of 4; however 5 is ideal. :)

I did cycle it. I read up on how to prepare the tank before I added fish. I just don't know much about fish and what kinds go well together. Thanks for letting me know about the corys.

GodFan said:
Your tank is a lil to small. The glowfish also like more of the same species. And gouramis can get aggressive as they age. But glad to see you are joining the hobby! Welcome aboard!

Thank you. I think I'm going to regime my kissing gouramis, but I hope to get a bigger tank soon :)

Thank you. I think I'm going to regime my kissing gouramis, but I hope to get a bigger tank soon :)
Dude you really should! Fish keeping is so awesome! You can get stuff like filters and heaters alot cheaper on Amazon if you need any. I have a 20 hoping to go to a 56 column :)

Umramgirl said:
My fiancé and I just got our first pets together--6 sweet little fish. As we have never owned fish before, any advice would be helpful!

We have a 10-gallon starter aquarium, but love our fish so much, we hope to expand before long.

Our fish community we put together, mostly by guesses. So far they get along, so hopefully we made the right choice. I would love to know if they ARE compatible, and what other kinds of fish go well with them for when we do get a larger tank one day.

We have 3 glofish (Strawberry, Cheesehead, and Cheeto),

A kissing gouramis (Bubbles),

A 3-spot gouramis (Domino),

And a corydora (Scuttle).

Tank setup, we have a hood with light, a filtration system, gravel, a small rock cave, and artificial plants.

They eat tropical fish flakes. I read that Corydoras need a sinking pellet, so I'm going to go buy it some kind of food today. Any suggestions?

Hey there,

Unfortunately...
All those gouramis in that size tank wouldn't really work. Too many territorial personalities, not enough space to establish territories. Depending on the corydora it could get too active or the tank and need more swim room. IMO the glofish get too active for ten gallons as well, I'd say twenty gallon long for one of them.

Hope this helps! :)

Hey welcome to AA and the hobby! IMO a 10 is too small and limited for a 1st tank. Most people think they are easier but its just not the case, larger tanks are easier to stock and keep stable. A 30gal would accommodate a school of corys and glofish as well as the 3 spot gourami and as long as you are over filtering (which I always highly recommend) you have room for a bn pleco or other smaller algae eater. The kissing gourami gets twice as big as the 3 spot and really needs a larger home than the other fish you bought.
As far as the 10 goes you can always stock it with a dwarf gourami or beta and a school of small fish like neon tetras ember tetras or rasboras

Back
Top Bottom