Newbie who screwed up..damage control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Test Kit arrived...I have levels!

Good Evening everyone. Thank you again to all who have posted and offered their suggestions. I believe I have implemented them all!

Library Girl: I forgot to mention my 3 clown loaches are babies I assume as they are approximately 2 inches.

Phin: I am using Prime every 48 hours..please let me know if you think I should up it to 24.

I received the API Testkit and here are my levels (Wish the color chart was easier b/c I am paranoid I might be between a couple of the color areas):

pH: 7.4
Amonia: .25
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 0

My Nitrite was purple as purple could get. Is it possible it is still showing High b/c the Prime is just Neutralizing it and my cycle is still in the beginning?

During your tank cycle, instead of changing water every day, you can dose with Prime, as you mentioned in the OP. A standard dose of prime 5ml/50gal, will detoxify up to 1.0ppm ammonia for 24 hours. If you keep your ammonia below 1.0ppm with water changes (instead of .25ppm) you can dose with Prime to keep your fish safe. multiple daily water changes on a 55 gallon tank to keep ammonia below .25ppm during the cycle could be maddening.

When nitrites start to take off you can dose Prime up to 5x the standard dose (5ml/10gal) to detoxify nitrite.

On a large tank you will go through a lot of prime, but it may save you a lot of time and effort from all those water changes, and you can be sure your fish are safe for 24hrs at a time.

In addition, the higher the level of ammonia present (up to a point) will increase the rate at which nitrosomonas will multiply (more "food" = more bacteria). likewise, sufficient levels of nitrite will allow for a faster completion of the cycle as more nitrite = more nitrobacter.

OP is doing a fish in cycle. Water changes need to be done regardless of what conditioner is being used. Yes prime neutralizes ammonia but only temporarily. A water change schedule should be based off of water test results. Even though prime is highly recommended and a trusted product it IS NOT a replacement for water changes, anything above .25ppm of ammonia is toxic to fish, that's why when doing a fish in water changes are a must. Yes doing water changes on a 55g won't be easy, but with a fish in its a must for a fish in cycle to be safely done.

Phin: I am using Prime every 48 hours..please let me know if you think I should up it to 24.

every 48 should be fine. Prime binds to ammonia and nitrite for "up to" 48 hrs. I think officially seachem states it binds to ammonia for 24-48 hrs. I always go conservative and say it will only work for 24, but 48 should be fine.

OP is doing a fish in cycle. Water changes need to be done regardless of what conditioner is being used.

Agreed.

Yes prime neutralizes ammonia but only temporarily.

Right, for 24 to 48 hrs. As long as water changes keep the ammonia level to less than 1ppm ammonia then dosing with prime every day or every other day will actually be less toxic to fish than not dosing with prime and doing water changes to keep ammonia levels at .25ppm. At least in the method I advocate, there is no toxic ammonia available to harm fish.

A water change schedule should be based off of water test results. Even though prime is highly recommended and a trusted product it IS NOT a replacement for water changes,

Agreed.

anything above .25ppm of ammonia is toxic to fish, that's why when doing a fish in water changes are a must.

Except that Prime will detoxify up to 1ppm of ammonia. If your water tests at 1.0 ppm then a dose of Prime @ 1ml/10gal will make your water safe, thus a waterchange at .25ppm is unnecessary, in my opinion.

Yes doing water changes on a 55g won't be easy, but with a fish in its a must for a fish in cycle to be safely done.

I agree. Water changes are absolutely necessary. However, I think back-to-back-to-back 25 plus gallon water changes, daily, for weeks, on a 55 gallon tank is unnecessary during a fish in cycle if you dose with Prime daily, as long as you can keep ammonia levels at 1ppm or less.

Incedentally (or not), Prime also detoxifies nitrite, but requires 5x the amount needed to detoxify ammonia.

Its just my advice, based on my limited knowledge and experience, but I'm not offering any advice that will harm any people or animals. My opinion is not an unethical option.

Good Evening everyone. Thank you again to all who have posted and offered their suggestions. I believe I have implemented them all!

Library Girl: I forgot to mention my 3 clown loaches are babies I assume as they are approximately 2 inches.

I received the API Testkit and here are my levels (Wish the color chart was easier b/c I am paranoid I might be between a couple of the color areas):

pH: 7.4
Nitrate: 0

My Nitrite was purple as purple could get. Is it possible it is still showing High b/c the Prime is just Neutralizing it and my cycle is still in the beginning?

I would do a few 50% water changes ASAP to get those nitrites down. Prime won't affect the test -- it'll still show ammonia, etc when you test for it even though you added Prime. Prime only detoxes ammonia and nitrite to a certain point though, and I'm not sure what the values are for nitrite. Since they are so high I'd do some water changes to get them down (use the Prime too of course to dechlorinate).

50% water changes and test results during cycle

Once again thank you to everyone for the help!

I did another 50% water change today including gravel vac and here are my pre and post results as well as tap water testing results:

Pre water change:
pH: 7.6
Nitrate: 5.0

After 50% water change:
pH: 7.8
Amonia:.25

Tap water:
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

First Question: Is my tap water ok as it shows nitrate?
Second Question: Why after a 50% water change did the results not change?

Once again thank you to everyone for the help!

I did another 50% water change today including gravel vac and here are my pre and post results as well as tap water testing results:

Pre water change:

After 50% water change:
pH: 7.8
Amonia:.25

Tap water:
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

First Question: Is my tap water ok as it shows nitrate?
Second Question: Why after a 50% water change did the results not change?

Yes, your tap water is fine. 5ppm of nitrate isn't bad.

You're still showing 5ppm nitrite because that's the max on the test. You were originally probably well over that when you did your water change. It's a good idea to change more every couple of hours at least till you get it down to 1ppm. Then use Prime to detoxify it temporarily.

New levels! Nitrites down for first time!

Okay here are my levels today...first dip in nitrites I have seen! Very exciting but nitrates more elevated now and water cloudy.

ph- 7.4
Nitrites-.25 ppm
Nitrates-40 ppm
Ammonia-.25

:dance::dance::dance:

This is good right! Does this mean I am nearing the end of the cycle and my fish made it through? Should I stop dosing with prime daily when nitrites are 0?

Much better! No need to dose Prime since the levels are good. NItrates are a bit on the high side, borderline, so if you're up to doing another 50% water change to get those down some that might be a good idea. Just keep testing and doing water changes as needed but it's looking good right now.

Back
Top Bottom