Newbie with 9 fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrea_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Set up my new 20 gal a few days ago, everything is great. After a few hours of setting up I noticed little tiny fish swimming around. Ends up I got a pregnant fish by accident, I'm pretty sure it's my Molly that is poppin out the fry, but I'm not sure. It's either the molly or sunburst Platy, my other fish are guarami and tetras. What do you guys think? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415153779.632186.jpg

I called my tropical fish store right after I noticed the babies. They said you could either let natural selection happen or save all of them, but they can have up to 50 fry. He also said it would "dumb down the species" by saving them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I want to say Molly fry...

29g Tropical Freshwater 2 female Endlers, 2 female Mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 male Tuxedo Guppy, 6 Pepper Corys, 2 Assassin Snails, 6 Ghost Shrimp...

10g Tropical Freshwater 13 various Endler and Molly fry, 4 Pepper Corys and 3 Ghost Shrimp...

My concern with this is that you just set this tank up a few days ago. Is it cycled?
I imagine that fry will not fair well during a cycling.

No the tank is still cycling. Again, this was a total accident. I guess we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those look like my platy fry which I separate from the mom -'especially only 9, but that is me. Actually, maybe they are molly fry, I don't know. Either way, this is what I do...

I keep them in a 1 gallon with prime that has an air stone and I use a turkey baster to remove the crushed food and try to change the water. About a week later, I then put them in a bigger tank with a filter and thermometer, heater etc. that has been established for a while. There are older fry in that tank which I am trying to rehome. My experience is the fry are pretty hardy and have been able to survive water that isn't cycled, but highly maintained and primed.

Back
Top Bottom