Newbie with a question :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly1107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to aquaria and have a question about my current stock and ideas for new members if I have room. I currently have a 44 g with 2 dwarf gourami, 1 albino rainbow shark, 3 golden killifish, and 3 columbian red and blue tetra. I am not quite cycled yet so if I was to add any it won't be until cycling is totally complete. Any suggestions?

Lol I plan on it...I was just wondering what if any I should get when it is time...my boyfriend got the tank and set it uo...we were not aware of the whole cycle process...fish were added and now I am trying to keep everything good. I have purchased the liquid master testing kit and I am keeping up on all levels. I am aware that generally you do not add this many fish but it happened, so now I am trying to keep all the lil guys as happy as possible. So anyway, any suggestions on if I will be able to get a few more when the time comes, and if so, what would be a good mix with what I have :)

kimberly1107 said:
I am new to aquaria and have a question about my current stock and ideas for new members if I have room. I currently have a 44 g with 2 dwarf gourami, 1 albino rainbow shark, 3 golden killifish, and 3 columbian red and blue tetra. I am not quite cycled yet so if I was to add any it won't be until cycling is totally complete. Any suggestions?

Upping the tetra school will add a lot more activity to your tank, they will become more bold in the tank will be in the open more often :)

The max size and temperaments of the rainbow shark makes me lean toward a 50gal tank but having no personal experience I can't be too strong on my opinion there.

As for you saying not quite cycled, what are your exact readings? :)

Some readings would be nice also it doesnt always matter if the tank is cycled or not as we all do water changes so it sets the cycle back a little bit.

Have you got a gravel cleaner? Or a sand cleaner?

Fishy Aston said:
also it doesnt always matter if the tank is cycled or not as we all do water changes so it sets the cycle back a little bit.

Well there are some fish that should really only be added to a stable mature tank, due to sensitivity or dietary needs.

Just saying...

Well...my readings are
Ph_7.4
NH3/4_<.25ppm
NO2_0ppm
NO3_5ppm

We are due for a water change today...I am aware of the risk of having some fish during cycle, but as I said before, I am just trying to fix what my boyfriend started. I never thought I would be a fish person, but I am becoming addicted! I have been doing research and am trying to do the right thing now :)

Well there are some fish that should really only be added to a stable mature tank, due to sensitivity or dietary needs.

Just saying...

Yes very true so that is why only hardy fish should be added to start of with!

Oh and yes, i have a gravel vac, picked it up last weekend...should i use it every week during water change? Probably depends on if it needs it lol...stupid question right ;)

The results are lookin good, getting there. :)

An this is an addictive hobby lol, beware! :p

Fishy Aston said:
Yes very true so that is why only hardy fish should be added to start of with!

Not really, if you have the time and dedication you can fish in cycle with sensitive fish, a friend of mine used a Betta and a few ottos for his cycle.

And that term you use "hardy fish" that's one of the reasons people buy fish to cycle a tank then swap them out for what they really want.

IMO if you're gonna fish in cycle then cycle the tank with the stock (or part thereof)

Well this lady is a newbie to fishkeeping

So i dont think she will be cycling her tank with sensivtive fish as they will most prob die on her. And that wouldnt be very nice.

So if she used hardy fish which she may want to get then they should be fine and wouldnt have to be upset cos the chance of them dieing is not very high.

When you first start a tank and you put a fish in and it dies it does annoy you and if you are new to the hobby you might just think it is horrid so you unplug the tank!

She and I are no expert and will not take the risk of cycling with bettas or ottos. Only hardy fish better safe than sorry.

The rainbow shark will require about 75 gallons. This comes from my personal experience. I ended up having to rehome mine to someone with 125 gallon tank.

Did you research any of these species prior to adding them to the tank?

We did do research before adding the shark...I read that they get 6"...we will only have 28" of fish when full grown...we have a 44 gallon tank...that doesnt seem over crowded...if he needs more room when he grows...a bigger tank will be needed and thats ok with me lol..I have becone quite fond of our lil fish friends :)

The inch per gallon thing should never have been spoken aloud by the first person who thought it up. It's a ridiculous concept (but you couldn't have known that). If anything, it only works for really tiny fish, like nano fish.

That said, when stocking, there are things you have to consider that are equally important to species size. Some fish require lots of room, like the sharks. They need to cruise the tank. Other species have a large bioload, and produce a huge amount of waste. You need to have a larger tank and hard core filtration. Some fish require schools, like tetras, who should be kept in groups of 8 or more. Some fish can be aggressive in a community setting, like the gouramis, and so they need more room to stretch their fins and claim their territory.

I watched my shark go through the fastest growth spurt I've ever seen. He then proceeded to eat my school of danios. He was telling me he didn't have enough space and I rehomed him.

If you're getting a larger tank, consider a 75 gallon if you're keeping him.

The best thing you can do is learn from our experience and our mistakes. Each generation of fishkeepers should have less struggles than the one before.

LyndaB said:
The inch per gallon thing should never have been spoken aloud by the first person who thought it.

Makes you wanna just find the moron and whack him doesn't it.

With my largest cast iron frying pan...... oh yeah. I'll tell him (because I'm sure it's a him..... hee hee) that I'll only whack him with one inch of the fry pan for every time he's given his wonderful advice...... shouldn't be more than 300-400 times. This won't hurt a bit...... :cool:

If it was a guy he was probably from the USA and from the south cuz we all know that gene pools been tainted internally :grin:

Back
Top Bottom