Newbies, The Power Of Filter Floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey. I just wanted to show new comers to our hobby just how effective floss can be in ANY type of filter. I started work my new shrimp/plant tank and I used Fluval Stratum, which is messy when disturbed. As you can see, even after rinsing and carefully refilling(using a bowl), the stratum cause's quite a bit of clouding. This first batch of pics, was the first refill. The second picture is after only 25mins of the filter being switched on. 1hr 30mins later it was crystal clear!!!.....

Attachments

• DSCF8326.jpg
    DSCF8326.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF8328.jpg
    DSCF8328.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 130
The second time of filling. I had to do this as just when I thought I was happy enough with the substrate and the layout, on the front of the tank, I noticed some scratches on the glass. I decided to turn it around, which meant reversing everything, including the substrate!!. As you can see, it got very dirty. After 1hr 30mins, everything inside was visible, enough to add the guppies and the second photo is after 5hrs....
***I did change out the floss 3 times during the whole process***

Attachments

• DSCF8329.jpg
    DSCF8329.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF8330.jpg
    DSCF8330.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 97
I've never heard of this before. Looks to work amazingly!
Yeah I swear by it. I use it in ALL my filters(canisters, internals and HOBS) I've ever had and ever will. It's a cheap addition to your filter and as you can see, it does work amazingly. I use it continuously....

Can't argue with those results!
Certainly not!!

What kind of filter floss did you use?
I use bed pillow stuffing. You can buy Aquarium filter floss but it is much more expensive. I paid $3 for enough to do me about 2yrs. In the US, I believe you can buy a massive bag in Hobby/Craft stores for a few dollars. When it gets dirty, simply dump it and add new floss. It's not a BB media, so no need to worry. When buying it, just make sure it's 100% polyfil, no additives, eg Fire Retardants. It looks like Candy Floss!!

Pretty much any tight polyfill will work. In my experience, I use this if I know my water will be cloudy, it clears it up after about 30 minutes. ( I use the 50 micron version) Coralife Pure-Flo Micron Filter Pads
Do you not run it continuously??

I use the 50 micron stuff as needed, to polish the water. Normally, I just use polyfill and Seachem Matrix.

Just ordered some filter floss as I'm changing from gravel to sand and don't want the cloud! Do I put this in my filter where the normal filter pads would be and keep the carbon in?

Just ordered some filter floss as I'm changing from gravel to sand and don't want the cloud! Do I put this in my filter where the normal filter pads would be and keep the carbon in?

Keep one pad in there for the BB. Add this to it to clear the tank.

Back
Top Bottom