newby snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are there aquarium snails that wont eat plants ? If I find snails in my tank, is it safe to leave them, or might they damage plants?

Assassin snails eat other snails. Pond snails would most likely be the snails that would show up in a tank, Because of eggs or hitch hiker pond snails that most likely came with plants or other things that may have been bought or transferred from another tank. Ime, pond snails that I intentionally added into my fish bowl did not eat my plants(java fern, cryptocoryne lucens, and moneywort).

There are a few more things that I left out because that's as far as I know, someone with more experience should chime in : D

I like the idea of having a couple of snails. In the past I removed any that came with the plants, as I assumed they would damage the plants.

I like the sound of Assassin snails :) Where I used to live in Durban, there were big carnivorous snails that ate other snails. But these were "land snails", not suitable for aquariums :)

Pond snails will not eat your healthy plants they will eat anything that may collect on the leaves, dead leaves. They will eat anything you over feed to your fish. Just be careful because pond snail reproduce fast and by themselves. The more you feed the faster you will have baby snails. I am what you would call infested. I overfed because I had livebearer fry and wanted to get them to grow fast and big. now I can take 15-20 snails out daily. I am getting 10 assasins and I will hopefully be able to keep them under control with that number!

I agree with assassin snails. I had a huge snail invasion, and everyone said to get them, I did not listen and wasted money on loaches, that hardly made a dent on the snail number. There was so many snails that i could hardly see the gravel, and i aren't exaggerating, 3 assassin snails and 3 weeks later, and i can literally see no snails whatsoever. However i have now realised my assassins have gone on to eat each other now they are out of other snails

They reproduce fast I saw one got rid of it and the next day I saw 3 I keep getting rid of them but the seem to breed right before my eyes. Because they are hermaphodites and can fertilize themselves just 1 snail is like the plague! Sadly by the time you see them chances are high that they have already laided tiny white eggs all over your tank and you won't see them until they are breeding snails. Just be really careful when you are feeding your fish. I seem to have them under control for a bit I cut way down on my feeding amounts and I cleaned a tun of eggs out. But now I am just going to let it go so that my new assasins have plenty to eat when they get here!

Back
Top Bottom