newly discovered ammonia at the tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Far left- sample from cycling 10

Middle-untreated tap water

Right- tap water treated with prime

These are all ammonia readings. I'm mostly confused about the prime treated water. Shouldn't that one be green? Its not even on the charts! It looks like I've got .5ppm at the tap judging from the untreated sample. I use this water in both of my tanks, and I never get an ammonia reading from my cichlid tank. Is this cause for concern?

ForumRunner_20120709_145846.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. Most city water has some ammonia in the tap. Just use prime and your good to go. I have had the same amount of ammo you have and never had an issue with my discus or any other fish.

Agreed. The Prime will lock it up for the short term, and your filtration will take care of it pretty quickly. The thing to be concerned about is if you happen to have nitrates in your water.... If you're doing pwc's to bring your nitrates down, but have some going back in, you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot.

Hmmm I know it will mess with the colors after. The only thing to try if you really want to know maybe use a bucket of tap and prime and test after it's mixed .

I'm gonna. I'm not real worried about it it was simply an experiment. I have healthy Bio filtration in the big tank so the ammonia isn't a huge deal. But I am curious, didn't the curiosity kill the cat? Something like that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom