news tiger barbs not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigerb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently added two tiger barbs in a 32 gallon tank which already contained 7. The two new ones stay at the bottom of the tank at feeding time. They do not eat because the other ones eat all of the flakes before they reach the bottom of the tank. It's as if the new ones haven't understood that the food is at the top of the tank. This has been going on for the past 4 days. Is there a way to ensure that they eat ?

Have you moved things around in order to confuse the original 7? It is quite possible that the new ones haven't established themselves in the pecking order and are afraid to come out and eat. Sometimes by moving decor or plants, the order is reestablished.

Have you checked your water params to be sure that everything is ok?

I can't move the plants because they have taken root in the stone. Concerning the params, the nitrite level is somewhat high (about 0.8), the amonia level is quite low (0.1). The new fish eat a bit only if some flakes manage to go down. For the nitrite level, I've tried changing 20% of the water and putting in some Cycle, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Any suggestions?

maybe add garlic extreme or some kind of garlic product a few nminutes prior to feeding...this may encourage the new fish to start looking for the food. it should make them ready to feed

Back
Top Bottom