next tankmate(s) in 10g FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Suggestion? I've got a great locally owned LFS as well as the two major box stores within a short drive so the ample selection is actually a problem. Too many choices.

CURRENT:

4 zebras, 3 otos, 1 green cory, 1 mystery snail
java fern cluster, 2 hornwort clusters

The current set up has run for about 2 months with no major shifts in water quality. 30% change/montly. I know the tank is "crowded" by some standards, but I have time to do the extra water changes if necessary.

WHY? The zebras just aren't filling the space like I wanted. They spend most of their time in/around the plants like cherry barbs. I 'scaped the plants in two groups on far right and far left with a stone/wood pile in the center so there'd be commuter traffic. When they do cross over they hug the bottom rather than through the open space. Combine that with the hide and hide behavior of the otos and one spends too much time looking for fish in a 10g tank.

The only real limit I know of to the addition is that I want the mature cory (2.5", she deposited eggs a couple months ago) to be the largest fish in this tank.

let the nominations begin.

If I were you I would take the zebras back they tend to like alot of space to zip around in IMO. I have 6 of them in a 100 gal. tank and they are all around the tank all the time never still. IMO a 10 gal. planted tank is really pretty with rummy nose tertras and maybe a dawrf gourmie(sp).

Rummy nose Tetras need more room than Zebra Danio's IMO. Try this 6-9 Zebra Danio's, The Oto's, Mystery Snial, 3 Cory's and a Dwarf Gourami. Add more plants like Anubias, moss, cryptocorynes, swords or aponogetons. The fish will feel more secure :)

I also say get more corys. Your one coy is probably lonely / afraid by itself. Plus, corys are awesome to watch in groups. You could get two or three more because they stay so little, and they're really cute.

Back
Top Bottom