Next up: Honey Gourami or American Flag Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woofwoofgrrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've done some more reading and now I'm not so sure about the American Flag Fish for my 30G.... there seems to be a lot of contradictory info about them on the interwebs and I'm not sure they would be appropriate for a relative noob like me.... I do like their reputation for algae control though. Thoughts?

Anyway, now I'm not so sure and am thinking about one or 2 honey gourami...

Or other suggestions for a nice peaceful community tank....
(current occupants are 7 long fin danios and 6 white skirt tetra)

I was also considering getting some otos but their reputation for dying during the first few days is a bit of a deterrent.

Ideas? Pretty please with fish flakes on top?

From what I have read, if you want the flagfish for it's algae control, get two males. Oddly enough you will have less aggression then with a male female combination. I've never kept any personally but they seem like a great choice and I plan on getting some when I set up a forty gal community. Dwarf gouramis are also great but I would go for the flagfish. Hope that helps!

If you were looking for a relatively small algae controller I would suggest a bristle nose pleco. They seem to be always doing work in the tank and get a max of 6 inches I believe.

I also think that 2 Honey gourami is not a good idea for the 30G, the chances are high that you will get 2 males, and there will be a lot of chasing, etc. IMO one will be always Be stressed, unless your tank can provide enough hiding spots and each one can have their own territory.

I had 2 in a 26G tank, both beautiful fish, but one was always chasing the other, short story , the stressed one died like in 2 weeks.

I can not help you with the American Flag fish because I don't know about it, also think that the britlenose pleco could be a good option for your tank.

ejaramillo01 said:
I also think that 2 Honey gourami is not a good idea for the 30G, the chances are high that you will get 2 males, and there will be a lot of chasing, etc. IMO one will be always Be stressed, unless your tank can provide enough hiding spots and each one can have their own territory.

I totally agree. Of my limited experience with the dwarf gourami, one will be dominate and the other will be forced to take cover. And usually the none dominate one won't be able to eat. And die. That is unless you have a knowledgeable person who can get you a male and female.

Honey gourami are generally all around peaceful. In My Experience, 2 males will do fine in a 30 gallon.

I vote Honey Gourami. I have one. (whom I felt sorry for, because someone seemed to have consumed one of his eyeballs during shipping). He's very docile, No aggression toward anyone. They're also a lot of fun to watch.

Predfan27 said:
If you were looking for a relatively small algae controller I would suggest a bristle nose pleco. They seem to be always doing work in the tank and get a max of 6 inches I believe.

They get a max of five inches actually.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom