Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

NH in tap water

Hi ya'll. I fished a fishelsss cycle and then did a large water change to get ready for fish. I tested after and realized my local water has Ammonia in it. About .5 PPM. Is this going to be an issue with fish? What do I need to do to correct it?

my tank: 29 gal, planted. fish less cycle done. 3 fancy male guppies, 7 Neons, and 6 corys, and 1 albino bristle nose. Kids tank: 10 gal, planted. Fish less cycle complete. Ghost Shrimp and Fred, the betta.
Sarasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If the tank is cycled it shouldn't be a big problem, the bacteria should be able to process the ammonia (just like the ammonia your fish and plants release). I don't think .5ppm is gonna be too bad as long as you aren't doing major pwc's, like 70-80%

Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That means you have chloramine rather than chlorine in your water. Make sure you use a conditioner that works with chloramine as well, as some only treat chlorine. If you use a conditioner like Prime, it detoxifies the ammonia for a couple days, which allows the biofilter to take care of it before the fish are affected.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Prime should handle that.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
That means you have chloramine rather than chlorine in your water. Make sure you use a conditioner that works with chloramine as well, as some only treat chlorine. If you use a conditioner like Prime, it detoxifies the ammonia for a couple days, which allows the biofilter to take care of it before the fish are affected.
Thanks. I will pick that up today with everything else. day. I am so excited.
my tank: 29 gal, planted. fish less cycle done. 3 fancy male guppies, 7 Neons, and 6 corys, and 1 albino bristle nose. Kids tank: 10 gal, planted. Fish less cycle complete. Ghost Shrimp and Fred, the betta.
Sarasein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com