Nibbling Clown Loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeerBotia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As usual, my clown loaches were entertaining me by "formation" flying in the downflow of my HOB. I noticed the right wingman in their wedge formation break off and go to the planted side of my tank.

HE STARTED NIBBLING THE LEAVES OF MY SWORDS!!! :? (especially the new tender leafs of the runners). I haven't seen my CL's do this before (well, they only had plastic plants before too...hmm)...anybody else experience this?

I tossed in a couple of algae wafers and they started clicking like crazy...maybe he had scurvy. :wink:

my clown loaches are downright herbivores...i initially had plants in my 55g...but my gang of 4 CLs would either uproot or nibble at(make BIG holes in the leaves) almost all my plants...and they were in no way underfed, both meat-based and veggies were supplied... :roll:

i have never had a problem with them attacking my plants, however i feed them a great variety of food, mostly sinking shrimp pellets (their fav's) and algea tabs. also they seem to enjoy haveing the occasional 7 day feeder with all its hidden goodies in the tank to nibble on. What are you feeding yours?

I am using a 55g with 5 CL's (i like odd numbers :) ) and more plants than i can list.

I usually feed my CL's a variety: Sinking carnivore pellets (Hikari) daily, Algae wafers about 2x per week, live blood worms when available (sometimes frozen, but warmed up). Also some brine shrimp pellets and tubifex once in a great while.

I have to admit, I wasn't keeping up as much on the algae wafers, though. Now that I've given them the algae wafers back, the nibbling seems to have stopped.

You ever feed your CL's other veggies, like zuch, lettuce, and such?

Thanks for the replies!

I never have because most veggies float, and the loaches seem to ignore food near the surface, so, algea wafers, and veggie pellets is the extent of their veggie diet for now.

Back
Top Bottom