Nice large river rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiCichlid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you guys have any idea where I can get some nice large river rocks for my cichlid tank I've been using slates and it looks so unnatural anyone have any ideas where i can get some affordable ones?

Do you guys have any idea where I can get some nice large river rocks for my cichlid tank I've been using slates and it looks so unnatural anyone have any ideas where i can get some affordable ones?

Well if ya live near a river Id say go look for some! But if not (like me) check your local fish stores. Mine general always has a really very good selection of rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well they aren't real but I was having trouble finding anything I liked as well. Someone directed me to vivariumworks.com

The guy makes aquarium safe rock molds that look really cool. Since they're light shipping is low. The only thing is for them to sink you would need to silicone them to the aquarium bottom or slate and bury the slate under your substrate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Try a landscape or nursery they often have any rocks I need. Also I find river rocks easily at local parks where the council has intended to create a "dry river bed" I just grab what I need and soak them in boiling water.

Man you all must live in awesome places. The landscape/rock gardens around me would only sell by the pallet or 2,000 lbs. And I could never find what I was looking for searching on my own

Man you all must live in awesome places. The landscape/rock gardens around me would only sell by the pallet or 2,000 lbs. And I could never find what I was looking for searching on my own

Really that sucks. I only have that problem when It comes to getting things like sand for a substrate when I can only buy 20kg bags and I probably only need about 2kg...
Do you live near any waterways? Try their on the banks

I live near the Ohio river. If you go on the banks of it you find a lot more used syringes than rocks. And it was voted the number one polluted and toxic river in the country...so I used my better judgement to avoid it haha. I ended up just doing driftwood and plants.

Fair enough haha better safe then sorry I guess. My local river is fairly polluted but I've just boiled and bleached everything from there

Most all rivers and reservoirs are polluted lol.. I got this driftwood from my reservoir 200 feet from my house... we have tires.. oil slicks in the water from the road run offs, trash ect... I just boiled it good for 2 hours on each side and its been in my discus tank for 2 months no problems

img_3107413_0_c3c2ed50b8ee2a8a395681677982f7ca.jpg

Well I get that most are polluted, but to be the most toxic in America...

We had something like 70,000 dead fish wash up from toxicity levels. Most of my avoidance comes from the fact that I can picture what I want and haven't been able to locate it. The pollution and risk of being jabbed by used needles are just the icing on the cake.

Back
Top Bottom