Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to swanandmokashi
NIGEL ARRIVED!!!!!

So finally my 3 Gal tank has been (fishless) cycled !! WOHOOO!
Ammonia 0 , Nitrite 0 AND Nitrate around 20 !

So yesterday marked the arrival of my new prized possesion , NIGEL , the male tourquise betta !! I am so excited. He seems comfortable in his new home so far

I have got the Hikari gold pellets and freeze dried blood worms for him.

How much and how often do I need to feed him . He is about 2-3 inches.

I gave him 3 pellets yesterday and I can't see them anymore in the tank .Also gave him 1 bloodworm , he has not touched it yet. I know bettas take some time to adjust to new environment and food , but just making sure everything is fine !

Fish : 10 Tiger Barbs, 2 Blue German Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Rainbow shark
swanandmokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hi swanandmokashi,
Congrats on the new betta! (and congrats on a successful fishless cycle!)

I feed my bettas the Hikari freeze-dried bloodworms and the daphnia, and also the Hikari Gold pellets. You're right that the bettas may take some time to get used to their new home, and begin eating. One of my bettas didn't eat for 6 days when he was new.

This is my feeding schedule:

Hikari pellets on M-W-F mornings (3 for the smaller betta and 4 for the larger one), OR Marineland Bio-Blend Betta pellets (same number of pellets as the Hikari.)

Hikari bloodworms on T-Th-Sat -- about 6 pieces for each betta; if it's a very big bloodworm, I cut it in half with my fingernail and count it as 2 pieces.

Hikari daphnia on M-W-F evenings (2 or 3 per betta) The daphnia are very small and not easy to pick up; they're more like a powder. I try my best to get a fairly substantial piece.

I also skip feedings on Sunday, and on Mondays, I skip the usual Monday feeding about every two weeks, and feed a pea. The pea is the only thing they get for 24 hours. Then I would resume their schedule on Tuesdays.

My bettas are picky (or maybe I spoiled them ) I get some tank water in a plastic cup and soak the Hikari and Marineland pellets for a minute or two. They don't spit it out that way. I use a plastic spoon to feed the pellets. The bettas know the spoon by now, and come right up to it!

I also supplement with live brine shrimp or blackworms every few months, when I happen to be near the hatchery that I got the bettas from. Brine shrimp is not very nutritious and should be given just as a treat, not more than once every week or two. But they do enjoy the live food.

You must post pics! A turquoise betta sounds beautiful (and 3 inches sounds like a pretty big guy!)

Old 05-17-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks! looks like these guys eat a lot !
Old 05-18-2004, 01:49 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, it does seem like they eat a lot! But not really...those daphnia are so small that the bettas sometimes don't see the smaller pieces. That's another reason I use the plastic spoon. The bettas know the spoon means food, so they are more likely to look for the food, and it doesn't float away. The bloodworm pieces are small, or I break them to make them small. The bloodworm pieces are not much bigger than the Hikai pellet. The bettas don't get an evening feeding on T-Th-Sat-Sun.

I've read that the size of a betta's stomach is about the size of their eye. Sometimes that helps, and sometimes it doesn't -- following this rule, it would seem like only one pellet would be all they should get. Three or four pellets is usually what the food label instructions say, and that seems just about right. I guess the "eye" rule is good to keep in mind so you remember that their stomach is small. I look at their stomach to see how big it looks as I feed. I may decide to cut the number of pellets or bloodworms if their stomach looks too big, or sometimes I will give another small daphnia at night if their stomach looks flat. I don't increase the number of pellets given -- that would be too much.

Here are some pics to judge the roundness of their stomach.
http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm

In time you'll learn to judge for yourself how much food to give, and how much each betta can eat before it's too much. My two bettas eat somewhat differently, and I've learned to adjust the food to their needs instead of just tossing in the same amount of food for each one. Hope this makes sense and helps!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

useful article ! BTW Nigel started eating yesterday ! he is eating the 3 pellets I feed him , I can't see the bloodworm I dropped in yesterday either !

Very very nice , my wife and me are already in love with him :P
Old 05-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanandmokashi
Nigel started eating yesterday
Yay!

It's very easy to fall in love with a betta, as you're finding out! It sounds like he has a great home!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
Yay!

It's very easy to fall in love with a betta, as you're finding out! It sounds like he has a great home!
Thanks for all your help ! Would have been impossible without this forum.
Many thanks from me and Nigel
Old 05-18-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also how much light do bettas need, I don't have any live plants in there. How many hours should I keep my light on .I have observed that Nigel is very active when the light is on. So when I left home today for work I put on a light in the room where the tank is, and turned the tank light off. Don't want to raise hte temperature of the tank by having the light on for a long time.

Please advice
Old 05-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Bettas don't need that much light. They prefer somewhat dimmer light, from what I've read. My tanks don't have built-in lights. They are right under my kitchen cabinets, and halogen lights are mounted under the cabinets, right over the tanks. I only turn these under-cabinet lights on for feeding, if I want to watch the bettas, or if I take a picture. I made the mistake of letting these lights on too long, and I had a horrible cyano bloom. The room light is more than enough for the bettas, and I have some java moss in the tanks. I would estimate that the halogen lights are only on for about 15 minutes a day.

I would say that what you're doing is good -- just let the room light be the main light, and turn the tank light on for feeding (if necessary to make it easier to see the tiny pellets) or viewing. From what I remember of my Eclipse 3 tank, the light was kind of hot when left on for long periods.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

great advice I am going to give you 10 kudos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com