Night and Day lighting - I'm confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieGrrrl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Another question from Miss Pest - I am a little confused about lighting. I am waiting for my tank to arrive on Tuesday. It's a 36 gallon bow All-Glass tank with a Versa-top hood and a strip light.

Today at the pet store, I picked up a timer so I would have to worry about turning the tank light on and off.

Part of what I am confused about is how you set up night-time lighting... Do you use a blacklight separate from the regular lighting strip? Do you replace the flourescent bulb with a different kind of bulb?

I ask because I am typically awake until midnight or 1am, and I'd like to enjoy the fish a little longer than from 7am to 7pm.

Advice? Suggestions? Comments on my stupidity? All are welcome :)

You don't need to coincide the light cycle with the outdoor/real sun cycle (unless its next to a window, which would be bad anyway). So you could run noon-midnight for instance.

Yeah, I run from about noon to midnight, the fish do fine. You don't need different night lighting or anything like that, just set your fish to your sleep schedule

Back
Top Bottom