Night light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ottermus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not to leave a blue "moonlight" on during the night as opposed to switching all lights off?

I kinda think they're pointless. Fish rest in darkness in the wild so why have a light for our satisfaction of seeing them. Just my opinion.

Aquatic Plants and Lighting

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not to leave a blue "moonlight" on during the night as opposed to switching all lights off?

Hello Otter...

I keep a small light on in my tank room. Not necessarily for the plants, but the fish need a little to mimic dusk or evening light. I mean, the idea of setting up an aquarium is to have a little bit of nature indoors. The fish and plants too have a little natural light at night in their natural living places, so I think a little light at night would make the tanks a bit more comfortable.

If you question a decision concerning your fish, just put yourself in their place. What would you like?

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Yes, good point well made, I always turn the lights off completely but I've not other people around where I live keep a blue light on, but as you say the more natural you keep things the better for the fish.

My fixture has very dim LED moonlights. 6 total over a 75 gallon tank. With them on you can just get a hint of what's going on in the tank. I've had no light and these lights. I see no difference in behavior.

Although I do think a period of darkness is good for the fish, my lights hardly light the the place up.

Just my 2 cents.

I tend to let my fish get 2 days of "moonlight" from my led's and then switch it with 2 days of just darkness. they get morning light from across the living room window so it's never completely "lights out" for them for an extended period of time.

i run mine at night it has a dimmer so i can tone it down or change the color for the mood.... i have many nocturnal fish so there active and if there not happy with the light thats why we give them caves and plants to hide in and shelter them ....there is always moon light in the wild how do they do it there?

Back
Top Bottom