nipped!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shsean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i always hv problem that my fish is always nip by the other fish , i would like to kNow wat is the best solution avoid it other than providing a hiding place? THanks.

shsean said:
i always hv problem that my fish is always nip by the other fish , i would like to kNow wat is the best solution avoid it other than providing a hiding place? THanks.

That depends on the fish you have in your tank and how many there are per school.

Some fish are not destined to be together so you have to do some research before you stock the tank. For example, Tiger Barbs can be nippy towards fish like Gouramis and Angels as they have long flowing fins. You can eliminate this behavior somewhat by keeping the Barbs in a school of 10+ which will spread their hyperactive tendancies to the other Barbs. This is not a foolproof option though, so you need to exercise caution.

Regardless, please tell us what fish you have, how many of each there are and in what size tank they're being kept.

OOps..i am very sorry about that i hv a tank around 20 gallons..and the fish i mention are my counsin's marigold swordtail..why they keep on chasing their own species? and the other are my silver angelfish..i wonder as i hv anOther koi angelfish ,But he never got nipped.( The fishes in my tank are angelfish,BGK,congo tetra and featherfin catfish)

If I am understanding you correctly. you have two angels, multiple feather fin cats, swords and other assorted fish in a 20 gallon tank. You have way to many fish. The tank is too small for two angels alone. Your agression problem comes from being vastly overstocked. You really need to rethink your stocking. Those cats get well over 6 inches long as well.

I would have to agree you are way overstocked. Also the reason they chase their own species might be that they are trying to mate. Do you know if you have males or females?

The angelfish will become more and more aggressive as they grow and the tank space becomes more and more limited.

well u all may be correct after all..THanks anyway..But do u all hv any idea how to identify the sexes in catfish??? Thx for ur reply

Back
Top Bottom