Nippy Serpae Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a newly setup tank 20 gal (5 days old) and I have 8 neon tetra and 4 serpae tetra and a cherry shrimp. Every morning when I wake up more and more of my neon tetras are missing a huge part of their tail. Its to the point where I only have one neon tetra with a full tail left. What do I do?

Thanks,
Tim.

Serpae tetras are nippy fish and are best kept in schools of 6 or more- that way they pick on one another and not your other fish *usually*

IMO, serpaes have been given a bum and undeserved reputation. Yes, they are nippers when there are not enough of them to keep them occupied. If you would like to keep them and keep them from nipping at your other fish, I would suggest 6 to 8 (as you did with the neons).

If you do, they will behave more like this:

schooldaze4.jpg

Yes, they are very well behaved in my tank, now if I can just find a couple more cochu blues to keep them from chasing the diamond tetras around I'ld be a bit better off.. Gotta get a 125Gal or 150Gal first tho, I have too many species to maintain proper schools in a 75.

I keep serpaes and adore them for their activity and color, and relative small size compared to other feisty tetras. I had a group of 5, and in quarrantine they almost killed one, removing most of its tail, until I added two more to make 7, and the tail grew back and everything was peachy. They really needed the extra numbers to maintain a pecking order.

Over the years I have gained about 4 from successful spawns in the tank (heavy plant cover protected a few lucky fry) but now I am down to 4 crusty old buggers, and they are fine together in their old age. I plan to get more, but it is wise to stock them like you would tiger barbs - the more the merrier.

Jchillin said:
IMO, serpaes have been given a bum and undeserved reputation. Yes, they are nippers when there are not enough of them to keep them occupied.

That's how I feel about tiger barbs.

I've kept serpaes in the past (a school of six). They were extremely nasty towards each other, but they left all the other tetras alone. If I ever stock serpaes again, I think I will go with eight or more - that's how many tiger barbs I have, and they are generally peaceful with everybody, including themselves.

Back
Top Bottom