Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2003, 09:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to pondmom Send a message via Yahoo to pondmom
NitrAte absorbers

I'm wondering if any of you have purchased a product called "deNitrate" and if so, does it work.
Comments/suggestions appreciated

5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
pondmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Chrismac
I never heard of it????

High concentrations of Nitrate suggests an elevated area of Pollution, pretty well lets you know its time for a partial water change, In many cases thats the best cure. unless your tap water has high levels of NO3 ?
You may want to check your tap water, make sure you dechlorinate the tap water. Prior to testing for nitrate.

Are you having lots of Algae growth?

Old 03-28-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Zic
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not a fan of chemical products. With the exception of Stress Coat (a water conditioner to remove Chlorine from my tap water) I use no other chemicals. If you have good surface agitation through an air pump (or power head) or a hang-on filter the nitrates should dispel into the air as gas and not be a problem. Also water changes remove nitrates.

This product may work, but I just am not a fan of adding any more chemicals than are absolutly necessary

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zic
If you have good surface agitation through an air pump (or power head) or a hang-on filter the nitrates should dispel into the air as gas and not be a problem.
I have to disagree with the above statement. AFAIK, nitrates are not affected by current or surface agitation. C02 is and perhaps that's what was intended. Water changes and lowering, if possible, the amount of organic material that goes in the water is the best way to control nitrates. Although I have never used it, I know folks that use Nitrazorb and are happy with it.
Logan J
Old 03-28-2003, 07:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I have seen it before, but luckily, knock on wood, I have never had any Nitrate problems! I think that if you get it, however, you may get a false reading like with the ammonia killers. I think a partial water change, and maybe feed once a day (if you dont) may help with nitrates. Of course, if your tap has high nitrates, you might want to consider bottled water or a RO unit.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to pondmom Send a message via Yahoo to pondmom
Update

After doing a 30% waterchange Wednesday, my nitrates were hanging around 5.0 Now after testing the last 2 days, they have come back to zero!!
About 10 days ago I added a Pothos's house plant to the tank. I divided and removed all soil, stuck the roots in mesh bags and just have the leaves above the tank. I'm guessing that this plants has finally started doing what it's suppose to do.
I feed only once a day and am faithful to my 7 day waterchanges/gravel cleaning.
I think I will pass on this product as many of you have no experience.
I appreciate the input
Thanks
5000gal + outdoor pond
125 gal FW tank
pondmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 11:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congratz! No more problems! The pothos plant is a great idea! You are a genuis! I am going to have to remember that plan. My mother has tons of the pothos ivy (i suppose this is what you mean) so it wont be a problem using some if I ever have those problems.

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com