Nitrate!! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraceGish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a high nitrate level in my tank, I understand from my LFS that frequent water changes are needed to get this down. I have just tested my tap water, I know, I have far too much time on my hands. And nitrate is super high in that (see picture). I do buy 10litres of RO water once a week for my normal water change but I can't get there any more often. I'm stuck! What do I do to get my nitrate down???????????

Attachments

• image-1443226489.jpg
    image-1443226489.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 77
Nitrate Level

I currently have a high nitrate level in my tank, I understand from my LFS that frequent water changes are needed to get this down. I have just tested my tap water, I know, I have far too much time on my hands. And nitrate is super high in that (see picture). I do buy 10litres of RO water once a week for my normal water change but I can't get there any more often. I'm stuck! What do I do to get my nitrate down???????????

Hello Frace...

No need to panic yet. Nitrates are at the end of the nitrogen cycle. So, this form of nitrogen isn't as harmful to your fish. It should be lower, so a series of small water changes will help. Removing and replacing 25 percent of tank water every couple of days will help. You can also do a good job of vacuuming the gravel and this will remove any old fish and plant material that may be fouling the tank water. Replace the old water with pure, treated tap water. Most aquarium fish are very adaptable and will easily live in most public water supplies. So, unless you keep rare fish species, there's no need to use special water. Your tap water treated to remove the chemicals like chlorine and chloramine, should be fine.

B

Just checking, the high nitrate is in your tap water?

Edit: all I can think of to get nitrate down is plants and/or a nitrate absorbing resin (assuming tap water high).

Last edited:
Do you have a planted tank? Do you do a good gravel vacuum weekly if the tank isn't planted? What type of filter do you have and how often do you clean it? Many things besides tap water can cause high nitrates. Even not doing large enough WC's weekly can contribute to it. Have you considered getting a portable small RO unit? Also depending on the reason behind the high nitrates there are nitrate resins you can also use.

Just checking, the high nitrate is in your tap water? Edit: all I can think of to get nitrate down is plants and/or a nitrate absorbing resin (assuming tap water high).

Hi, yes the nitrate is just as high in my tap water as it is in my tank - this is my problem - how can I get it down with water changes when I'm just replacing it with more nitrate.

Thanks

Do you have a planted tank? Do you do a good gravel vacuum weekly if the tank isn't planted? What type of filter do you have and how often do you clean it? Many things besides tap water can cause high nitrates. Even not doing large enough WC's weekly can contribute to it. Have you considered getting a portable small RO unit? Also depending on the reason behind the high nitrates there are nitrate resins you can also use.

Hi, yes plenty of live plants, vacuum the gravel weekly, I have a fluval U2 which is clean in old tank water weekly.

A few people have suggested nitrate resins - I will have to look into this.

Thank you

Has anyone looked at which is better: a RO unit or nitrate resins/purigen? I'm guessing cost is the main factor?

RO water is always the best option, there is no guarantee with nitrate/phosphate reducing products. What you can do is build a reactor. Purigen will have no effect on nitrates. Denitrate and under 50 GPH flow has proven to lower nitrates quite well but it has to be done right. Most reviews on the product say its useless but I guarantee they dont have 50 GPH or less running through it. It's not something you can just toss in your canister and call it a day

I prefer RO and have this portable unit, the Pro-100... portable countertop reverse osmosis drinking water system - remove fluoride, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, prescription drugs and more.

The only nitrate resin I know that works is the Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover Resin. You only use it a day or two in your filter, then remove it the recharge it in Aquarium Salt and water. I've used it so I know personally it works.

Something we being discussed the other day about treating high tap water nitrates using this resin to treat the tap water before it's used for a WC. Just put however much water you normally use in a large enough tub/container and run the nitrate remover in a filter in that tub. That way your not putting nitrates into the tank and trying to remove them.

Personally over time the cost of resins will add up so a small RO unit is still your best option IMO.

I'm having the very same problem at the moment (38ppm nitrates in tap water), see my running topic for some possibilities I've came upon. I'm going to order JBL BioNitrat Ex tonight, which seems a relatively cheap and hassle-free option. I'll let you know if it is any good (although it apparently takes soms weeks to months to fully work).

A quick last question - does anyone know if purigen or nitrate, etc resins will absorb fish medicines / antibiotics? The company website seems to imply not but not reading anything that says exactly.

Some say purgen will absorb med's and some say not BUT I personally would remove all chemical media if using meds unless it's a medicated food.

My tap is 80ppm and I got around it by doing this mixing Tap and ro together and then adding some api aquarium salt. Hope this helps.

My tap is 80ppm and I got around it by doing this mixing Tap and ro together and then adding some api aquarium salt. Hope this helps.

Aquarium salt does nothing for nitrates but 1/15th a teaspoon of aquarium salt per every 10g will counteract 1ppm nitrites. It is also enough not to harm plants or bother most sensitive fish. There is no need to use aquarium salt since plants don't tolerate it well and many commonly kept fish also do not tolerate it well.

The reason I use salt is to add back some elcotlites.

Maybe there's nitrate in your tap.
Maybe there's a lot of waste under gravel that need to be cleaned.
Maybe you're very much overfeeding ?

Some say purgen will absorb med's and some say not BUT I personally would remove all chemical media if using meds unless it's a medicated food.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated on advice.

I found one website that said to take out, most other websites did not say exactly.

Back
Top Bottom