Nitrate in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love rams and have been working on learning to keep nitrates low so I can decide if I can have one.

I did several daily 50% changes and still showed just over 10ppm nitrates. Finally checked my tap and found that the nitrates there were just about the same as in my tank. So - even if I changed 100% every day, and only had one fish in my tank, my nitrates would never be optimal for a ram because the nitrates start so high in my tap.

Other than live plants, is there any way I could bring the nitrates down?

Thanks!

You can get a RO/DI filter it will take everything out of the water. You can also usually buy filtered water from your LFS esp. if they are selling coral & saltwater animals.

I have read that tap water can actually be good for fresh tanks because of the minerals and other things that fish need once you get the ammonia out. RODI is okay for salt tanks because you add the aquarium salt mix back in. Just asking cause it's what I've read, and I am not crazy about the cost and maintenance of an RODI unit.

I have read that tap water can actually be good for fresh tanks because of the minerals and other things that fish need once you get the ammonia out. RODI is okay for salt tanks because you add the aquarium salt mix back in. Just asking cause it's what I've read, and I am not crazy about the cost and maintenance of an RODI unit.

You're right, it would be a pain. Some people use ro systems to soften their water for certain freshwater species such as rams. Getting those minerals into your water can be done by adding them manually or diluting your tap with ro, which can be tricky.

Why don't you just go with live plants. You're rams will love'em.

I have never done live plants before. Don't know what to get, how much to get, what LFS has, how to take care of them etc etc.

Feed your bacteria? lol

It probably helps keep your bacteria population good and healthy. a large water change might be scary though.

I mean I've had the tank for a Kong time, and my tap has always had crazy nitrates. But I've never had a death without it being caused by something other than trates. So I just keep using the tap water. Lol

I got an anubias but read it only grows one new leaf a month (!). I have a molly so can't have tasty plants. Also realized snails and plants don't mix.

What beginner plant would not need a lot of maintenance, would grow fast, and not be food for fish?

Java ferns maybe? Also I have a plant called Aponogeton crispus in my tank, and it took off like crazy with no special attention! Its pretty hardy and it can deal with a little nipping. Grows fast too.

Back
Top Bottom